Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Finding (elaborated) error codes - found in dmesg (resolved)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Finding (elaborated) error codes - found in dmesg (resolved)

    Having Knoppix, now Debian, v3.3 hard drive installed, and trying to gain knowledge in finding my "own" answers to questions in this "new" Operating System, I have dedicated my "existance" -now- to finding out what, and how, to resolve some error codes, and messages, I find within a listing of DMESG...

    One of these is coming from my audio sound card, a on-board, motherboard mounted, sound card.

    The message displayed in dmesg is as follows:
    via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11

    I have tried to locate error numbers in "info", "man", and also, posting those errors here in this forum - to no avail. I have tried to find system errors, and messages, as well as the error numbers themselves, no luck.

    I would guess that this "message" is not important, by the outcome of assistance, in it. But, would like to know why it is happening, and if possible, how to resolve it. Just for the ability to further my knowledge of Linux/Debian/Knoppix. This "is" my OS, and all others can just go to hell, as far as I am concerned. For that reason, I want to know more about it, to "grasp" and "retain" this knowledge of my OS, and to grow further with it.

    Is this error/message comming from my sound card, or my sound mixer (KMix), is it internal to the OS, or something I don't have configured right? What? I think the error is "non-important:, if not for the knowledge behind it, or knowing what, and why it is happening, mostly.

    I have come many miles so far, from the new and shinny OS from the CD, safe, and non-threatening - to hard drive installed and the ONLY OS I use. Immersion of sorts, and a attituide of "I am going to run this, and learn everything I can about it", for good and for bad. To learn as much as I can, and to become as competent in it as I was within my previous OS.

    Can someone either tell me about this message, or seriously take the attituide of helping someone who wants to become more than a dedicated to posting for answers to their problems in this OS, point-of-view? Show me how to fish, and not just hand me a fish, kind of thing

    I am greatly appreciative to anyone on this issue, and maybe, someday, I may be capable of showing someone else "how to fish",
    Thanks in advance,
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Cuddles,

    I can understand you curiosity in trying to get more information on this error message. Hopefully your sound card is working however. I don't know exactly what is going on, but I have found one of the best methods of resolving error messages that are not addressed in these forums is to search on the message or parts of the message in Google. This has helped me out a number of times. You may want to try putting quotation marks around the error message or around parts of it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    According to Alan Cox in this patch it is a bogus warning that has not been fixed in 2.4 kernels yet. BTW you will drive yourself nuts with trying to figure out those warnings that have no effect on the functioning of the system, they happen far too often and are the main argument for hiding the boot messages from people with a splash screen.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thank you Aay and Stephen,

    That helps, I can resolve this now. As far as I can tell, the sound card IS working as expected. I can done "patch" recording from all "record" sources available on the KMix "mixer", and they work, and, even though I don't know what half of the "play" volume settings are in KMix, they "appear" to all be working. So, as far as I know, this error message that seems to be popping up in dmesg is actually, as you say, bogus.

    With that knowledge, I can rest on the subject. I was just concerned that this "message" meant something was wrong, or something wasn't working as it should be - as seen from the OS.

    Thank you both for, not only the resource to check on other messages, but also the fact that "this" message is a ghost, and not worth chasing after.

    That is something new about a new OS, you see everything as being something to be concerned with, like the one everyone seems to be concerned with currently in these forums: Only One Processor Found, during the boot up. I, for that matter, know I only have ONE, and thus, am not concerned when it reports this. IF, on the other hand, it reported I had MORE than ONE, then I WOULD be concerned. [giggle]

    Thanks again, both of you, you have put this concern where it belongs, I will simply "overlook", and "ignore" this message, as the OS appears it is as well
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8.1 BUG FOUND: Not finding "home=" parti
    By jrhall in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 05:16 AM
  2. /var/lib/dpkg/lock file not found [Resolved]
    By kompressor in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:20 AM
  3. "Ignoring Drain Playback Error?" in dmesg
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
  4. Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. Error codes during HDD install...
    By howagood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00