-
IBM Thinkpad w/ Thinkpad Dock and external monitor - SOLVED!
Hello,
I've been fighting an XFree86 configuration problem for many months that I finally solved with the help of Knoppix. The suggestion came from another post on these Fora, too.
My system is an IBM Thinkpad A21p with a Thinkpad Dock. The problem is that, while Knoppix (and all other Linux distros I tried) worked in the machine while NOT docked, NONE of them would give graphical output to my external monitor while docked.
The Thinkpad uses an ATI mobility 128 Rage, which is automagically detected and the ATI driver installed. That's the problem - the ATI XFree86 driver has a bug. If I booted Knoppix with xmodule=vesa or xmodule=framebuffer, I got the proper graphical output.
I hope this saves some other person the trouble I went through. There were NO posts about Thinkpad hardware that I could find that helped.
Similar Threads
-
By JapanLover in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
-
By mykroft in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By angoyal in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 01:59 PM
-
By niki2002 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$145.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99