Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: IBM Thinkpad w/ Thinkpad Dock and external monitor - SOLVED!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    IBM Thinkpad w/ Thinkpad Dock and external monitor - SOLVED!

    Hello,

    I've been fighting an XFree86 configuration problem for many months that I finally solved with the help of Knoppix. The suggestion came from another post on these Fora, too.

    My system is an IBM Thinkpad A21p with a Thinkpad Dock. The problem is that, while Knoppix (and all other Linux distros I tried) worked in the machine while NOT docked, NONE of them would give graphical output to my external monitor while docked.

    The Thinkpad uses an ATI mobility 128 Rage, which is automagically detected and the ATI driver installed. That's the problem - the ATI XFree86 driver has a bug. If I booted Knoppix with xmodule=vesa or xmodule=framebuffer, I got the proper graphical output.

    I hope this saves some other person the trouble I went through. There were NO posts about Thinkpad hardware that I could find that helped.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx for the info, I'm looking into getting a used thinkpad off ebay to use with KNOPPIX and am looking for this kind of info. In fact, I have my eyes on an A21 auction right now....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6
    THANK YOU!

    I've been dealing with this same issue for a month.

    I'll try the fix tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. ThinkPad R50 Wireless
    By JapanLover in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
  2. Thinkpad G40 Issues with 3.3
    By mykroft in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 08:13 PM
  3. IBM Thinkpad 390Z
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 05:11 PM
  4. need help with Thinkpad 240x
    By angoyal in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 01:59 PM
  5. APM on ThinkPad A31
    By niki2002 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, AUMOX PRO Home 5|5*1G Port, Black picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, AUMOX PRO Home 5|5*1G Port, Black

$8.95



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99