Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do I start nfs?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22

    How do I start nfs?

    I am trying to connect to another Linux machine (linda) using nfs.

    The nfs daemon does not seem to be starting correctly.
    When I issue "/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start" it _seems_ to work
    but sometimes hangs up. However when I ps shouldn't there
    be a line with nfs? I do get a line rpc.nfsd - does this mean the nfs daemon is loaded? When nfs-kernel-server hangs up I exit the root shell
    and suspect this is causing problems.

    Then when I try to mount the share (linda) the mount command hangs up
    but sometimes I find to my surprise the share was mounted after all.

    What is the correct procedure to get nfs started?
    I've read all the forum articles with nfs in the subject.

    This is what I've done so far:

    I have linda and knoppix listed in /etc/nfsshares.

    I have linda and knoppix listed in exports in the form:
    / knoppix(sync,rw,no-root-squash)
    and have done exportfs -rav

    I have an fstab line for linda as follows:
    linda:/ /mnt/linda nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    linda:/home /mnt/linda/home rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

    I mount the shares as follows:
    First I mount the shares under /mnt if they do not exist.
    Then:
    mount linda:/ /mount/linda
    mount linda:/home /mount/linda/home

    Thanks for any insights.
    Pelican

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22
    Problem solved. javascript:emoticon('')

    You have to load /sbin/portmap before /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server.

    Everything smooth now with nfs.

    Pelican

Similar Threads

  1. Umm were do I start.
    By made2000 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 11:26 PM
  2. Don't know how to start ede.
    By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
  3. X11 Does not start
    By J_T_Biggs in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 07:38 PM
  4. Can't Start X11?
    By fasttech in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
  5. KDE no start
    By timmd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98