Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: USB Storage (HDD and Jump Drive) questions after HDD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    USB Storage (HDD and Jump Drive) questions after HDD install

    Hi all--
    I have recently installed (quite easily, thanks to the instructions found on this board--thank you!!) Knoppix 3.3 on my system, dual-booting with Win2k.

    One thing that puzzles me, and it's probably due to my lack of experience, is that the Knoppix Live CD found my USB Jump drive and USB HDD perfectly if I plugged them in right after I typed Knoppix lang=us wheelmouse at the boot: prompt, but the installed version does not.

    Should I have installed it while they were plugged in, so that they would be automatically stuffed into fstab?

    I've added folders for both in my /mnt directory, so is it just as simple as adding a couple lines to fstab to point my computer in the right direction?

    If so, what would I manually add to fstab to allow my computer to recognize them?

    Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

    C ya,
    Dutch

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Don't have a usb hd, but you need at least this line in fstab for usb support:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

    For my thumbdrive I have in fstab:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=markus,gid=markus 0 0

    And as root do:
    cd /mnt
    mkdir sda1
    chmod 777 sda1

    I'm assuming here your thumbdrive is also sda1, if not, change to what you have.
    To find out do after plugging it in:
    cat /var/log/syslog |grep sda

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Markus--
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out and let you know how it works out. One question, though: where you set the gid to markus, would it be advisable to set the gid to disks if I have all users (myself and root) as members of the disks group, or should I use my named group, "dale"?

    Thanks!

    C ya,
    Dutch

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Markus--
    I followed your instructions, except for leaving off the "gid=(myusername)" part of the fstab line, and it works perfectly!

    Here are the additions to my fstab file in case anyone can use them:

    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    I added two SCSI devices because I also have a USB-IDE adapter for a laptop HDD that I often use. I suppose it's as easy as adding another mountpoint folder to the /mnt directory and another line to fstab if I want to add another....

    Thanks again, Markus, you're a lifesaver!

    C ya,
    Dutch

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Glad it worked!

    Sorry for the delay, knoppix.net seems to have some problems

    I have the uid and gid only so that I get ownership when that root guy who always messes up my computer copies over files to the thumbdrive which I solely use for moving files between computers.
    I added two SCSI devices because I also have a USB-IDE adapter for a laptop HDD that I often use. I suppose it's as easy as adding another mountpoint folder to the /mnt directory and another line to fstab if I want to add another....
    Can't see why not, after all, the cdrom has by default two mountpoints at cdrom and cdaudio.
    You might even want different mounts for your USB HD if you use it as both scratchdisk and sysbackup.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Glad it worked!

    Sorry for the delay, knoppix.net seems to have some problems

    I have the uid and gid only so that I get ownership when that root guy who always messes up my computer copies over files to the thumbdrive which I solely use for moving files between computers.
    Thanks again for the info. Root messes with your thumbdrive? Wierd. I've had no problems whatsoever with mine. It'd be nice to figure out how to be able to hot-plug it, rather than having to put it in when booting, although that's not so much a problem as just an inconvenience. I guess I'll eventually learn how to get it to hot-plug, as there's probably a small program hidden somewhere that will allow the computer to scan the USB for new items and prepare the computer to use them.

    Thanks again!

    C ya,
    Dutch

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  2. Questions after hard drive install and /mnt directory.
    By rstoeck in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 05:49 AM
  3. DSL and usb pen drive questions
    By 00zero in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:47 AM
  4. Post install questions (firewire hdd install)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
  5. 2 questions, pen drive and root pass(yes i looked first)
    By Whiskers in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a 8-Core Ryzen Pro 7 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a 8-Core Ryzen Pro 7 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM

$300.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98