Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Firewall and ADSL/PPPoe config

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Montreal,Quebec
    Posts
    2

    Firewall and ADSL/PPPoe config

    Hello to you from Montreal, Quebec!
    Using Knoppix 3.3 I succesfully and easily connected to my high speed connection with the wizard for ADSL/PPPoe connection.
    When I'm using Windows 98 I use a firewall name Zonealarm and it does cut intrusion from the outside in my system(even programs who want to connect to the net without my knowing about)

    What program or config is there available with Knoppix?
    I have heard that Linux system are better protected, is this true?

    tku

    denis

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Funky,

    I used to have Win98, and yes, I also had ZoneAlarm - was the best freeware I ever owned

    Try a apt-cache search on either guarddog, or firestarter...

    I prefer the guarddog, but I also tried firestarter.

    GuardDog was easier, and forgetable after you set it up, I had problems with FireStarter, and making it come up, and down, when my ISP connection wasn't running.

    GuardDog runs all the time, I see it when I boot, but it is so transparent, unless I run the Shields Up from Gibson Research - then it pops up.

    I am sure of other firewalls, you pick, I like what I like, but thats me...
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Firewall and ADSL/PPPoe config

    Quote Originally Posted by funky
    Hello to you from Montreal, Quebec!
    Using Knoppix 3.3 I succesfully and easily connected to my high speed connection with the wizard for ADSL/PPPoe connection.

    What program or config is there available with Knoppix?
    I have heard that Linux system are better protected, is this true?
    I second GuardDog. It was extremely easy to set up on my hard drive install (I'm not sure about CD operation). You can check on its operation by opening a shell and typing sudo tail -f /var/log/messages and watch the log as it's created.

    Linux, by its nature, is more secure than Windows, especially Win98. Remember, ARPAnet (the predecessor to the Internet) was built on Unix systems. Windows didn't officially have any Internet functionality until 1996 (factoid: the first edition of Bill Gates' book The Road Ahead didn't even mention the Internet -- to hide this fact, he bought back every copy he could find ) and was built on a core with no inherent security of any kind -- and at least 20 flaws that will never be fixed because they can't be fixed. No operating system is perfect, but Linux is better. You often hear that a patch for Windows has not fixed a problem or made things worse. It happened just a week ago.

Similar Threads

  1. ADSL/PPPOE configuration
    By rickwinters in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
  2. ADSL/PPPOE Configuration
    By ronin1967 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:56 AM
  3. Firewall and ADSL/PPPoe connection
    By funky in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. ADSL/PPPoE Configuration Problem
    By Zapata in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. ADSL/-PPPOE configuration doesn't find anything
    By Win95user in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition

$155.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$155.19



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM picture

Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM

$41.00