Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Should I upgrade to Testing?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7

    Should I upgrade to Testing?

    Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.

    My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.

    So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Should I upgrade to Testing?

    Quote Originally Posted by evilmrhenry
    Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.

    My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.

    So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?
    Even easier solution put a # character in front of the stable lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list or since you are using synaptic just edit the sources with the option there, then (apt-get) update and you will only get packages from the testing/unstable branches so this will eliminate those conflicts with packages from stable getting pulled in and trying to uninstall half the system.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy libvorbis0
    libvorbis0:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1.0rc3-1
      Version Table:
         1.0rc3-1 0
            500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Similar Threads

  1. testing 3.9 w/ unionfs and apt-get update, upgrade- problems
    By nosknoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
  2. testing php code
    By maxIT in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
  3. WEP Penetration Testing
    By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
  4. Testing any Sound in Knoppix?
    By gopikrish in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
  5. how to upgrade to debian testing kernel?
    By hyao in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99