What do you type and what error messages do you see?
I wanted to join the Linux bandwagon and figured I should start out with something that has the least configureation as possible. I found Knoppix. A Compaq Presario and 700mb ISO later, I was on my way to installing my first Linux OS. I followed this really detailed guide (http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=181&page=1)
and got up to step 7, where I installed everything, and can login in to root. Its great and all, but I really would like to see a Graphical UI. Saddly, this isn't the case, because nothing I type in gets me anywhere, and according to the walk through mentioned above, Knoppix starts a GUI automatically. I can't figure for the life of me how to get in.
Any help would be apprecieated, thanks.
What do you type and what error messages do you see?
Thats the thing, I'm really not sure what to type. I've done some Googling in the mean time and tried:
kdm - Screen flashes for a few seconds and returns back to the command prompt.
startkde - I get a bunch of KDwhatevers and then "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server".
startx - Fatal server error: no screens found, a blank screen, then "X10: fatal IO x10 error, 104 (Connection reset by peer)
I just want to get into the same thing I could using the Knoppix boot cd.
Can you boot Knoppix from CD? If so, and KDE works, try saving /etc/X11/X11Config to a removable media, like a floppy. Then boot Knoppix from harddisk and overwrite the "bad" X11Config file. This trick worked very well for me while Ghosting severeal PC's.
I'm pretty sure I'm browsing the CD, but I cant seem to find X11Config. The closest thing in /ect/X11 is something called XF86Config. Should I use that? And, if it I do use that, how do I copy something from one place to another from a floppy using the command line?Originally Posted by sn0wflake
Try at the kdm screen selecting kde3 from the session menu instead of the default that is preselected.Originally Posted by Tiggs
My bad/etc/X11/XF86Config is the correct file. BTW, do you know what graphics card you have?
No it is not the correct file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 when using Xfree86 4.? on Debian/Knoppix.Originally Posted by sn0wflake
This stands a 50% chance of working in about 5 mins so its worth a go.
1) At the terminal as root
ps -ef ¦grep kdm
find the pid and then
kill -9 <PID>
You need to kill this becuase it is respawning X and it won't let you start another...
then, still as root type
XFree86 -configure (it could be --configure)
This creates a file in /root called xf86config.new (or similar, it will actually tell you)
then type
startx - (or --) xf86config=/root/xf86config.new
If this works ....
CTRL+ALT+BKSPC and stop X
then
cp /etc/X11/XF86config /etc/X11/XF86config.orig
cp /etc/X11/XF86config-4 /etc/X11/XF86config-4.orig
cp /root/xf86config.new /etc/X11/XF86config
then type
/etc/init.d/kdm start
(you might need to look for the actual file, its something like kdm)
and theres a space before the start.
cd /rootOriginally Posted by gowator
X --configure

π Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12Γ Gigabit PoE+ β’ 2Γ 10G SFP+ Compact Switch β‘
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99
Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX2300-24P 24-port Gigabit RJ-45 PoE 4-port 10Gb SFP+ Network Switch
$89.99