Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Can not get to a graphical UI after boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Can not get to a graphical UI after boot

    I wanted to join the Linux bandwagon and figured I should start out with something that has the least configureation as possible. I found Knoppix. A Compaq Presario and 700mb ISO later, I was on my way to installing my first Linux OS. I followed this really detailed guide (http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=181&page=1)
    and got up to step 7, where I installed everything, and can login in to root. Its great and all, but I really would like to see a Graphical UI. Saddly, this isn't the case, because nothing I type in gets me anywhere, and according to the walk through mentioned above, Knoppix starts a GUI automatically. I can't figure for the life of me how to get in.

    Any help would be apprecieated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Explicit

    What do you type and what error messages do you see?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thats the thing, I'm really not sure what to type. I've done some Googling in the mean time and tried:

    kdm - Screen flashes for a few seconds and returns back to the command prompt.
    startkde - I get a bunch of KDwhatevers and then "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server".
    startx - Fatal server error: no screens found, a blank screen, then "X10: fatal IO x10 error, 104 (Connection reset by peer)

    I just want to get into the same thing I could using the Knoppix boot cd.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    CD boot

    Can you boot Knoppix from CD? If so, and KDE works, try saving /etc/X11/X11Config to a removable media, like a floppy. Then boot Knoppix from harddisk and overwrite the "bad" X11Config file. This trick worked very well for me while Ghosting severeal PC's.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: CD boot

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    Can you boot Knoppix from CD? If so, and KDE works, try saving /etc/X11/X11Config to a removable media, like a floppy. Then boot Knoppix from harddisk and overwrite the "bad" X11Config file. This trick worked very well for me while Ghosting severeal PC's.
    I'm pretty sure I'm browsing the CD, but I cant seem to find X11Config. The closest thing in /ect/X11 is something called XF86Config. Should I use that? And, if it I do use that, how do I copy something from one place to another from a floppy using the command line?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggs
    Thats the thing, I'm really not sure what to type. I've done some Googling in the mean time and tried:

    kdm - Screen flashes for a few seconds and returns back to the command prompt.
    startkde - I get a bunch of KDwhatevers and then "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server".
    startx - Fatal server error: no screens found, a blank screen, then "X10: fatal IO x10 error, 104 (Connection reset by peer)

    I just want to get into the same thing I could using the Knoppix boot cd.
    Try at the kdm screen selecting kde3 from the session menu instead of the default that is preselected.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    XF86Config of course

    My bad /etc/X11/XF86Config is the correct file. BTW, do you know what graphics card you have?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: XF86Config of course

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    My bad /etc/X11/XF86Config is the correct file. BTW, do you know what graphics card you have?
    No it is not the correct file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 when using Xfree86 4.? on Debian/Knoppix.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Quick Fix

    This stands a 50% chance of working in about 5 mins so its worth a go.

    1) At the terminal as root
    ps -ef ¦grep kdm
    find the pid and then
    kill -9 <PID>

    You need to kill this becuase it is respawning X and it won't let you start another...

    then, still as root type
    XFree86 -configure (it could be --configure)
    This creates a file in /root called xf86config.new (or similar, it will actually tell you)
    then type
    startx - (or --) xf86config=/root/xf86config.new

    If this works ....
    CTRL+ALT+BKSPC and stop X
    then
    cp /etc/X11/XF86config /etc/X11/XF86config.orig
    cp /etc/X11/XF86config-4 /etc/X11/XF86config-4.orig
    cp /root/xf86config.new /etc/X11/XF86config

    then type
    /etc/init.d/kdm start
    (you might need to look for the actual file, its something like kdm)
    and theres a space before the start.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Quick Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    XFree86 -configure (it could be --configure)
    cd /root
    X --configure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bringing up graphical interface on boot
    By peteyjared3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
  2. lilo graphical menu (install=bmp) and boot parameters
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
  3. cant get into graphical
    By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
  5. [SUGGESTION] Graphical boot
    By Fabianx in forum Ideas
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08