Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can't see both HD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Can't see both HD

    I've got my Knoppix 3.3 box up and it has two hd.

    hda1 is 12.5 gig hd for the OS and where / is, all users and swap.

    hdb is 20 gig hd for multimedia files.

    Both of them are found under /mnt, but if I do this command

    df -a

    I only see hda1.

    Any reason why? I do want to maintain space on hdb.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Can't see both HD

    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    I've got my Knoppix 3.3 box up and it has two hd.

    hda1 is 12.5 gig hd for the OS and where / is, all users and swap.

    hdb is 20 gig hd for multimedia files.

    Both of them are found under /mnt, but if I do this command

    df -a

    I only see hda1.

    Any reason why? I do want to maintain space on hdb.

    thanks
    Do you have any line(s) for the HD in your /etc/fstab so that the partition(s) on the drive is(are) actually mounted. The disk partition(s) will not show up unless it(they) is(are) mounted.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    i don't have an entry under /etc/fstab. I never thougt of that, but I have never had a dual HD under Linux before.

    How would one make an entry for it under fstab?

    The odd thing, is that it is not mounted, but I have oggs/mp3s on that disk and I am able to play them, create and delete them.

    Is there a problem with this?

    thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    i don't have an entry under /etc/fstab. I never thougt of that, but I have never had a dual HD under Linux before.

    How would one make an entry for it under fstab?

    The odd thing, is that it is not mounted, but I have oggs/mp3s on that disk and I am able to play them, create and delete them.

    Is there a problem with this?

    thanks
    Well there is never a problem when you have access to your files. Are you sure that you have them on that drive or you do not already have it mounted? Use the mount command to check the only way you can get access to the files is if the file system is mounted somewhere. And can you post the output of the mount command and fdisk -l as root?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    i don't have an entry under /etc/fstab. I never thougt of that, but I have never had a dual HD under Linux before.

    How would one make an entry for it under fstab?

    The odd thing, is that it is not mounted, but I have oggs/mp3s on that disk and I am able to play them, create and delete them.

    Is there a problem with this?

    thanks
    Well there is never a problem when you have access to your files. Are you sure that you have them on that drive or you do not already have it mounted? Use the mount command to check the only way you can get access to the files is if the file system is mounted somewhere. And can you post the output of the mount command and fdisk -l as root?
    Very true, there isn't a problem because I can read and write to that disk.

    I would like to manage disk space though.

    When doing fdisk -l, I get this output:


    Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1655 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 14 1176 9341797+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 1177 1303 1020127+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 1304 1655 2827440 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 1304 1399 771088+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 1400 1495 771088+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda7 1496 1559 514048+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda8 1560 1623 514048+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda9 1624 1655 257008+ 83 Linux

    Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2481 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    That is about half of what we need to see, you need to post the rest of the output for the hdb and the mount command plus the /etc/fstab would be nice as well. And what type of install did you do the Debian or Knoppix style?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Here is my output for /etc/fstab...btw I don't have an entry for hdb


    Code:
     
    cmmiller@xanadu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    /dev/hda2  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    /dev/hda6  none  swap  sw  0  0
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    Here is my output for /etc/fstab...btw I don't have an entry for hdb


    Code:
     
    cmmiller@xanadu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Well you have an entry but it is not correct you need to change the hdb to hdb1 assuming there is only one partition on the second hard drive and it is a primary partition if it is a extended partition you should use hdb5 I can not tell which you need because there is no output in your post above for the fdisk -l for hdb and you should change the noauto in the line to auto if you want it mounted on boot. Is that all the output you get from the fdisk -l or was it just cut off when you posted? It should so you the partition number(s) that you need to use in the /etc/fstab.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    Here is my output for /etc/fstab...btw I don't have an entry for hdb


    Code:
     
    cmmiller@xanadu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Well you have an entry but it is not correct you need to change the hdb to hdb1 assuming there is only one partition on the second hard drive and it is a primary partition if it is a extended partition you should use hdb5 I can not tell which you need because there is no output in your post above for the fdisk -l for hdb and you should change the noauto in the line to auto if you want it mounted on boot. Is that all the output you get from the fdisk -l or was it just cut off when you posted? It should so you the partition number(s) that you need to use in the /etc/fstab.

    How do I rename my second HD? Just edit /etc/fstab?

    /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

    to

    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0


    Do I also want to remove the noauto so the HD automatically mounts? It mounts now.

    thanks

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Still don't understand why I was able to read/write/execute files on this disk, but it wasn't setup right.

    I had to do the following to fix it:

    fdisk

    mkfs

    then mount it...

    This are the steps one should take when setting up a 2nd HD under Linux. Google around for more complete directions.

    thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99