Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Cannot detect sda1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Cannot detect sda1

    Hi,

    I am new to linux. I just installed Knoppix on to my laptop, and I'm having a problem: when I plug in an external flash hard drive, it is not detected under Hard Disk Partition (sda1).

    When I run Knoppix via the boot-cd, everything works fine.

    Any ideas on what is going wrong?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    not detected

    By not detected do you mean the device file /dev/sda1 is not created or you don't have an icon for it.

    From a cli (console or whatever)
    ls -l /dev/sda*
    what does it say ????

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    take a look in /etc/fstab.

    Chances are that there will be a hash in front of the line for sda1.


    as root

    remove the #

    run

    mount -a

    and all should be fine.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    90
    I have the same problem. I have used this USB drives:

    - USB 1.0 Flash disk 64 Mb
    - USB 2.0 Flash disk 128 mb
    - USB 1.0 IDE enclosure
    - USB 2.0 IDE enclosure

    The USB 1.0 Flash disk 64 Mb and USB 2.0 IDE enclosure works fine with the LiveCD, but don't get recognized in the HD Installed Version. The oher two drives I wasn't unable to get working in any circumstance. I try to mount using the command line to no result

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Add this line to /etc/fstab for usb support:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

    For my thumbdrive I have in fstab:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=markus,gid=markus 0 0
    You can change vfat to auto, and markus to your login, or just remove uid and gid if you don't want to get ownership for new files:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    And as root do:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1

    For more than one device do: dmesg |grep sda
    or: cat /var/log/syslog |grep sda
    and add the devices to fstab and mountpoins to /mnt/

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    You can change vfat to auto, and markus to your login, or just remove uid and gid if you don't want to get ownership for new files:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    Hi Markus--
    I found this thread and tried using 'mount /dev/sda1' to mount my USB thumb drive after Knoppix was already up and running, and it states that sda1 is not a valid block device. My guess is that when it's not detected at boot, the block device is not created. Maybe this is a clue to how to get it to hot-plug after boot.... What program or script detects USB drive and creates sda1 as a block device so that fstab can be used to mount it? With that piece of information, the solution to hot-plugging USB thumb drives seems like it may be close at hand....

    Thanks!

    C ya,
    Dutch

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I found this thread and tried using 'mount /dev/sda1' to mount my USB thumb drive
    You could try mounting with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" or "mount /mnt/sda1" to give it a mountpoint.

    What program or script detects USB drive and creates sda1 as a block device so that fstab can be used to mount it?
    Sorry, don't know the script. I get it hotplugged and didn't do much anything for it.

    When I do lsmod without plugging the thumbdrive in i get a.o.t. usb-uhci and usbcore.
    But when I plug it in I also get usb-storage.
    You could try "modprobe usb-storage" and plug it in or vice versa, but try mounting with the mountpoint first.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    You could try mounting with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" or "mount /mnt/sda1" to give it a mountpoint.
    Markus--
    I tried it, but unfortunately it still claims sda1 is not a valid block device.

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    When I do lsmod without plugging the thumbdrive in i get a.o.t. usb-uhci and usbcore.
    But when I plug it in I also get usb-storage.
    You could try "modprobe usb-storage" and plug it in or vice versa, but try mounting with the mountpoint first.
    Modprobe runs with no error, but it still doesn't mount as sda1 is still not a valid block device. I guess that figuring out how to make sda1 a valid block device after booting is the key. Thanks for your help!

    C ya,
    Dutch

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Have you tried "mount /dev/sda to whatever"? I.e. leaving off the 1.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Have you tried "mount /dev/sda to whatever"? I.e. leaving off the 1.
    Champagnemojo--
    I'll try that and see what happens....

    Thanks!

    C ya,
    Dutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix-installer on sda1
    By rabinhood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
  2. won`t detect my wirelss mouse...
    By jhobo4 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
  3. can't detect cdrom
    By drg55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 02:59 AM
  4. PC doesn't detect any bootable CD-ROM
    By Benbread in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:22 AM
  5. knoppix-autoconfig does not detect in HD
    By kim in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00