Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: No Linux Network

  1. #1

    No Linux Network

    Hi,

    I have a small network set up and running under Win98SE. This includes an ADSL Modem/Router. I am trying to get this network to work with Knoppix V3.3 live-cd, but have no sucess so far.
    My NIC is a Netgear FA331 and the settings are:-

    Ip for eth0 10.9.16.3
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast 10.9.16.255
    Default Gateway 10.9.16.1
    Name Server 195.112.4.4

    Other computers on the network are 10.9.16.2, 10.9.16.4 and 10.9.16.5.

    The values for the NIC were manually entered and checked. I cannot access the Internet. I can Ping the card, but any other address does not reply. I see activity from the NIC indicated by an LED flashing on a hub nearby. If I try a Ping from another computer I can observe packets being received by a monitor program (can't remember which one).

    I have looked through this Forum, and through the FAQ's, but nothing obvious has surfaced.

    I would appreciate assistance in solving this problem, as I really like what I see of Knoppix Linux and wish to explore further.

    T.I.A

    Stewart

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: No Linux Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Baker
    ... If I try a Ping from another computer I can observe packets being received by a monitor program ...
    I can't know what the problem is from only the information you posted, but the fact that you say you can see traffic going out but your card never seems to receive packets makes it sound to me like the problem I saw in these two threads:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164 and
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117

    My syptoms were the same, I could see the packets going out (with ethereal on a hub) but the NIC never saw any packets come back in. I only saw this with WinXP but a few others have reported it after some Win98 "upgrades".

  3. #3
    Hi Harry,

    Thanks for your mail. I waded through both threads, boy there is some grief there !

    I tried booting as Expert answering n to the questions, and using sudo mii-tool -r, both worked fine. I can now access the Internet and Ping the other machines.

    I want to continue to run from the CD, both would like to know how to make the NIC settings permanent.

    I suppose I could read the manual, but a quick "Heads Up" would be most welcome.

    Many thanks

    Stewart

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Baker
    I want to continue to run from the CD, both would like to know how to make the NIC settings permanent.
    If you find a good fix, post back and let me know. You might be able to do something with a persistant home directory, but you need to use boot options to find that, Knoppix will not boot up and find a persistant home directory by default. So unless you plan on remastering Knoppix I don't know of any way to give yourself a clean hands-off boot with that hardware.

    Since you at least have the problem with a desktop system rather than a notebook like I have, you might look at swapping out your NIC. If you do, put the Knoppix CD in the drive before you shut down the system so that you boot up right into Knoppix before you ever run Windows. While there certainly might be other issues (like your system BIOS), I really expect that a NIC swap will solve the problem. Over here NIC's are many times $5 or less, frequently free after "rebate"; hopefuly you have access to an inexpensive NIC to do this. It's likely, but far from a sure thing, that the NIC would continue to work under Knoppix even after you have run Windows, at least until you do any more updates. But I would certainly make my first boot after swapping interfaces into Knoppix to be sure. If you do this, please report back here what the results were.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 92
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 03:35 AM
  2. How to network 2 Linux HD installs?
    By bigkahuna in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:30 AM
  4. newbie: network a linux client to a windows server?
    By mementomike in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
  5. Network Inventory Software for Linux?
    By david_eliasson in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95 picture

Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95

$65.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00