Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Formatting/Partitioning HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    12

    Formatting/Partitioning HDD

    Hi, I hope someone can help please, I have looked for docs here but couldn;t find anything.

    I have a 30gb HDD which is currently a dual boot, Win 98se and Suse 9. When I installed SUSE I let it choose the best way to partition the HDD so I have a 20gb win partition and a 10gb Suse partition. Suse loaded GRUB as the bootloader.

    I want to wipe this drive clean and use it for my Knoppix HDD install. However I can't seem to get the partitions to delete using qtparted. The data has gone but there still seems to be linux partitions on the disk. Any Ideas how I do this please, as I would like to start again with a bare disk?

    Thanks in advance

    Ritchie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    12
    Baldyeti

    Thanks for the reply. What is happening is that I highlight the partition I want to delete, click on delete, and it doesn;t delete, its still there!!!....

    I wanted to have a bare disk with no partitions because I want to learn how to install to partitions rather than than the automated procedure.

    I will try the cfdisk route

    Thank you for your help

    Ritchie

Similar Threads

  1. Mp3 usb stick and formatting
    By Dark_Wolf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
  2. Formatting a CD with Knoppix.
    By Chuckbaker in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
  3. Formatting of failed?
    By dresac in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
  4. Formatting
    By Spike in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
  5. Partitioning, Formatting and Installing (From WinXP)
    By A.T.O.B in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor - Tested

$180.00



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99