Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I get Administrative [root] password?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    How do I get Administrative [root] password?

    Hello, I have just successfully ran KNOPPIX from CD on both my desktop computer [homebuilt] and my Gateway laptop. It is a great OS and I am exploring all of it but some of the settings I need to change such as setting the correct time on the clock requires "administrative privileges" and a box comes up asking for a password. How do I get this to work? I have no clue at this point....please help!!!!

    Bob at: [email protected]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    Open a root shell from the penguin icon/root shell. use the password command.

    passwd

    enter new password twice. This should give you a access to changing your settings. Check the faq for good info and tips.
    I would suggest storing your new settings on floppy/harddrive/removeable storage. If knoppix suits you you might consider installing to the hard drive.
    welcome to the wonderful world of knoppix.
    johnb

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: How do I get Administrative [root] password?

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    Hello, I have just successfully ran KNOPPIX from CD on both my desktop computer [homebuilt] and my Gateway laptop. It is a great OS and I am exploring all of it but some of the settings I need to change such as setting the correct time on the clock requires "administrative privileges" and a box comes up asking for a password. How do I get this to work? I have no clue at this point....please help!!!!

    Bob at: [email protected]
    This response is not just to bob58, but to all people new to this forum. This is one of the most frequently asked (and answered ) questions in this forum. Please do a little searching before jumping in with basic questions like this. We are glad to help but there are a LOT of new users to Linux (or at least to Knoppix) in these forums. It's hard to keep support up to a high level if the basics need to be repeated over and over. The answer to this question and many others are found in the Docs section of this forum. If you cannot find the answer to your question in the Docs section, or by using the search function of this site, then ask away. We will be glad to try and help.

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. Root Password ( what is it? )
    By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
  3. root password
    By stol in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
  4. Root password
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 08:14 PM
  5. Root Password
    By VBgod in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99