Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 CD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84

    Knoppix 3.3 CD

    I have an HP computer that I am trying to run the CD version of Knoppix 3.3 on. I know I have a good .iso, and a good CD because the MD5 matches and the CD runs on a Dell at work (don't tell the boss ).

    Details on my confuser can be found here. http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...ion22686&cc=us.

    Basically it is a HP XL795
    M$ ME
    Pentium III, 800M, 133 FSB
    256M RAM
    40G HDD
    CD-RW 4x, 4x, 24x,
    185W PS

    Problem is, When ever I try to boot from the CD, I get up to "Booting the Kernel" and then get a string of " hdb: lost interupt ". Now, just what the heck is that supposed to mean.

    I've been a DOS junkie until I couldn't find any more good games...

    Any way someone can help me get past this without taking a 12GA to my box?

    Thanks in advance...

    GMD

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    You wouldn't happen to have a 5 1/4" floppy drive in that thing by any chance? You said you were a DOS junky so that seems likely. If you do, disconnect it and see if that helps.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    Thank you Monkeyman

    I don't have a 5 1/4 on this computer, but I do have a "removable hard drive" (I think it is called a Zip drive).
    Could the Knoppix CD installation program be seeing this as the second hard drive (hdb) and giving me the error?

    What would happen if I loaded a disk/cartridge into it? Do you think it would be recognised then?

    Thanks for the reply - I only get about one hour a day to play with this...

    Thanks again...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you tried the cheatcodes nosmp and nodma.
    At the bootprompt type "knoppix nosmp" and cross your fingers

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang64
    Thank you Monkeyman

    I don't have a 5 1/4 on this computer, but I do have a "removable hard drive" (I think it is called a Zip drive).
    Could the Knoppix CD installation program be seeing this as the second hard drive (hdb) and giving me the error?

    What would happen if I loaded a disk/cartridge into it? Do you think it would be recognised then?

    Thanks for the reply - I only get about one hour a day to play with this...

    Thanks again...
    Yes, that would be it. I figured there had to be something that didn't show up in the HP specs. It is a known issue with Knoppix that it has problems with Zip drives if a formatted disk isn't in the drive at boot.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84


    It Works!It works!It works

    IT WORKS!!!



    Thank You to everyone involved in the Linux projects.

    I am now on my way to telling Mr Bill to shove-it!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    OK then fancy pants! What is wrong with mine?

    I get this error:
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx

    Till it gets to the X-Server exicute lines then quits trying!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    OK then fancy pants! What is wrong with mine?

    I get this error:
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx

    Till it gets to the X-Server exicute lines then quits trying!
    Cloop errors usually indicate a bad ISO image where Knoppix is having problems uncompressing the file you should boot with knoppix testcd.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Thanks I figured that was the problem, only I DLed the image twice and from two different mirrors. I know it isn't my burner, it is brand new!

    I will give it another shot from a different mirror.

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    Thanks I figured that was the problem, only I DLed the image twice and from two different mirrors. I know it isn't my burner, it is brand new!

    I will give it another shot from a different mirror.

    Thanks again.
    To check that the image you have downloaded is ok please download the corresponding *.md5 file too and calculate the md5 sum of the iso. If they match you probably have a good iso file. (If you are really careful you'd download the md5 file from several mirrors and check that they all are identical)
    Even if the downloaded iso is ok things can still go wrong due to crappy burner software (of which there seems to be plenty in the windos domain) , faulty cdr:s, incompatible reader (some dvd:s are picky when reading cd:s) etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



AC Adapter For Samsung Jet Bot VR30T80313W/AA Robot Vacuum + Charging dock picture

AC Adapter For Samsung Jet Bot VR30T80313W/AA Robot Vacuum + Charging dock

$50.00



(2) Battery For FoxNoble Cordless Vacuum Cleaner GLBP01-6S26 picture

(2) Battery For FoxNoble Cordless Vacuum Cleaner GLBP01-6S26

$49.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$80.66