-
Knoppix 3.3 and My Winmodem...
Hello - I've went throught much trouble to get Knoppix 3.3 and I installed it fine only to realize I have a winmodem... I understand there is a way to use some Winmodems with this Linux distobution. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to fix it? I run a basic Gateway 256mb of RAM, 40 gig HD, Celeron 2.10 GHz processor... My modem is a :
GTW V.92 Voicemodem #2
Thanks so much in advance for the help.
-
Go to linmodems.org and see if you can find any info on your modem. Try "lspci -v" and see if you spot your modem in that list of devices. You are going to need to find out the actual chipset used in your particular modem, but I believe there is a utility called scanmodem on the linmodems.org site that will look for a supported winmodem. Once you know what chipset you have then the site will let you know if you have a working modem or a lump of windows based crappola.
Usually I have not trouble getting their drivers to work perfectly. Good luck.
-
Thanks... I coulden't find it on that site... I did dind this info on my modem tho:
GWMDMWav.inf
Provider: GTW
Class: MEDIA
Version number: 3.3.24
Version date: 02/12/2002
O/S: 95a, 95b, NT4, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
_____
Voice Modem Serial Wave Device
Manufacturer: GTW
Hardware IDs: MODEMWAVE\GTW_V.92_Voicemodem_BCM4211, MODEMWAVE\GTW_V.92_Voicemodem_PCI, MODEMWAVE\GTW_V.92_Voicemodem_AMR
_____
GWMDMvxd.inf
Provider: GTW
Class: Modem
Version number: 3.3.24
Version date: 02/12/2002
O/S: 95a, 95b, NT4, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
_____
GTW V.92 Voicemodem
Manufacturer: GTW
Hardware IDs: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212&SUBSYS_000214E4, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212&SUBSYS_000114E4, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212&SUBSYS_000213E0, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_1450107B, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_1050144F
What can I do with this info? Thanks again.
-
And also this:
Capabilities: 0
Class: Modem
ClassGUID: {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
CompatibleIDs: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212&REV_00
ConfigFlags: 0
DeviceDesc: GTW V.92 Voicemodem
FriendlyName: GTW V.92 Voicemodem #2
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4212&SUBSYS_000214E4&REV_00
LocationInformation: PCI bus 1, device 2, function 0
Mfg: GTW
Service: Modem
UINumber: 3
-
Sorry man, the best I can do from here was to send to you linmodems.org. If they can't help you I certainly can't. Did you download the scanmodem utility? That might tell you if you have a supported modem.
The info you posted is not as useful as the output from "lspci -v", seeing as that .inf file is windows specific info, and has little relationship to anything linux.
Try again to check the modem with the scanmodem program. And post the output of lscpi -v and I'll try to help what little I can.
-
Well, as I cannot get linux online im not on right now lol... I cant get the scanner because its for Linux and im on XP at the moment. Thanks though. I'm new to all these things, sorry.
-
Senior Member
registered user
DJTech,
This might help, at least to find out some information on your modem - within Windows....
Not too sure about WinXP - never worked in it, my last Microsoft OS was Win98, so you may need to translate some of what I am saying, into a WinXP user interface - Ok?
In Win98 ---=----
Open Control Panel
Select and Run Modems
-=- Not sure on the particulars on the location of this - wait a sec, I have a Win98 system next to me, let me direct exactly...
Control Panel
Modems
Diagnostics Tab along the top of that screen
Highlight your modem in the center text box
Click on More Info...
The window that opens up, will have a long list of "common" ATI commands, and the modems responses to them...
Take note of possibly ATI3's responses, or anything that resembles your modem manufacturer, or model...
I don't think you can select the listing and paste it somewhere, so you may have to open up a notepad or something, and manually copy the data over to your notepad, or even type it into a post here -=-
My ATI3 response is: LT V.90 Data+Fax Modem Version 5.34
(and it was supported by the site, I was able to download the drivers, and get Linux/Knoppix to work with it)
Now, what Windows (reports) my modem as is: 56K Internet Fax
As you can see, Windows doesn't give very much information to go on, considering you want to get the "exact" modem driver for your modem, the "chipset" is the only way to go. Short of trying to find the actual chip on your motherboard, you might try the Diagnostics, its way easier 
Hope this helps,
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
This should help
Open a root terminal....
scanpci -v -v
Find the part for the modem and ... well it should be there.
If not you can google on the manufacturer string etc.
Similar Threads
-
By Skytos in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
-
By Naosuke in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 12:38 AM
-
By stoneguy in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
-
By funkea in forum The Lounge
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
-
By gritter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99

SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK
$299.99

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95

Lot Of 25 16GB PC4 2133P 2400T 2666V RAM DIMM ECC Server Memory *From Scrap*
$1999.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

M321R8GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 64GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 ES Memory
$1999.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$137.70

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98