Yes that is what it means. Try apt-get -s install gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment if the simulation looks good then remove the -s for the simulation and install. You may need to use gnome-core=45 in the line.
Hi,
I am trying to use the gnome desktop but I do not succeed... I know there is a Gnoppix distribution, but I do not want to start from zero, so I tried the folowwing:
--------------------------
root > apt-get install gnome-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Suggested packages:
gnome-desktop-environment gnome-help gnome-terminal
The following packages will be REMOVED:
galeon gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gnome-core
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 5 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1507kB of archives.
After unpacking 19.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
-------------------------
Afterwards I install the gnome desktop and it says it is not possible to do it:
root > apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: gnome-core (= 45) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
The question is: Does it really mean that there are no packages to install yet? If not, what am I doing wrong??
thanks,
Pau
Yes that is what it means. Try apt-get -s install gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment if the simulation looks good then remove the -s for the simulation and install. You may need to use gnome-core=45 in the line.
thanks, Stephen... actually I did an
apt-get -t unstable install gnome-bin
and it worked pretty well... even though it is not as fancy as gnoppix, it is gnome... and it is somehow difficult to change some features, like the keyboard (I have a german one)... The most important (to me) question now is... does anybody know whether there is a translation of gnome in Catalan? and if so... how can I install it in k/gnoppix?
cheerio,
Pau
Good to hear you got it going. For the keyboard you should login to the console as normal user and use su to become root then dpkg-reconfigure console-common and select your keyboard layout and language from the full arch list then dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and so the same for the keyboard layout for X. I would imagine there is, I believe there are more translations for Gnome than KDE has and I know that KDE supports your language that is what the kde-i18n-ca localization is for. You should also if you want the the localization of the messages at the console and such install the packages localpurge and localeconf and configure the system to use your localization The localepurge package will save you probably 100-200mb by removing the locales and man pages that you do not use from the system if you install it you should edit the file /etc/locale.gen by hand and remove all lines other than the locales you setup for otherwise they will be regenerated. You should check Gnome for similar a package to the kde-i18n-ca that provides the localization.Originally Posted by pau

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Micron MTA9ASF2G72PZ‑3G2E1TI 128GB (8x16gb) 1RX8 DDR4‑3200 PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM
$961.00
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 RAM CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
$79.99
MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99
50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99
6x Kingston KSM24SES8/8ME 8GB ECC + 3x DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM Lot
$222.00
Samsung 16GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM RAM M471A2K43EB1
$80.00