Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix VS MkLiveCD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35

    Knoppix VS MkLiveCD

    I think that Knoppix is a top notch distro, Klaus has done the Linux community a wonderful favor by making it possible. I have DL'd most every Knoppix edition since I don't know when.

    I have been messing around with the idea of moving my small home server to knoppix for a while now - just never had the where-with-all to do the remaster. I wanted a pretty basic system, IMAP, web server (for internal pages), DNS relay, DHCP and a proxy server. I wanted it on a CDROM so it couldn't get hosed. Too many times a crappy IDE HD has corrupted my system after running for a few months straight. With a CD based OS I could make multiple copies for safety and only worry about backing up the data.

    I had a bit of a struggle with the concepts of the Knoppix remaster. I fought with getting X to start in the chroot'd environment using xnest. I hacked away to get services and packages straightened out. After a few false starts I was making good headway on it when I read a blurb about mklivecd [ http://www.linuxminicd.org/mklivecd/ ] here on the Knoppix board. Hmmm, I wanted to give this a try.

    Using Vmware I installed the distro that I wanted to be my base (Mandrake 9.2) and then installed it again on a second (in the case of vmware - virtual) drive so that I had a base system with everything and a very limited "test" system with just the basics. I tweaked and removed as much as possible from the 'test" system then added what I wanted. In just a few days of picking around at it in my spare time I had exactly what I wanted. I rebooted to the "base" Mandrake and ran mklivecd - telling it the root was the second disk with the "test" system on it. I did it this way with the "base" system so that I could add a few apps from source on the base system (with stuff like kernel sources installed) using checkinstall and install the resultant RPM on the "test" system.

    It ran. It ran well and had everything I wanted on it. It was so much easier to do it this way; build a disk based distro the way I wanted and then mklivecd it then remastering Knoppix.

    Again, I love Knoppix. The way it performs and what it does is abolutely astounding.

    Has anyone else played with mklivecd yet?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    at last

    Have I tried the mkcd.... No not yet becuase Im still telling myself I can do it in knoppix

    What I got so far is the installed version with....
    2x10/100 internal/external and 1x54g (internal)
    IPTABLES with nat masq on the internals

    DHCP server/bind ... (almost qmail and IMP)
    etc....
    (oh and VPN tunneling but thats not for the Cd)

    What im looking at is a server edition knoppix, designed to be run and installed to Hdd of course but for instance letting you set up anopther server with all the packages you need and preconfigured as far as possible.

    Xinstalled But not started by default ....


    Could also be used as a liveCD for those zero downtime operations....

    IMHO and experience Mandrake is too quirky on hardware...
    (and I know a lot about Mandrake) ....
    Another reason not to use mandy is it is so non standard on the config tools now... since 9.2 linuxconf is 'banned' - No RPM's becuase it interferes with Mandy's own wizards...

    The 3NIC setup I have now is impossible with the wizards and worse once you try it its a sod to get rid of....
    Basically i think theyve played with the noobie usability to the point where server tasks are just too much work...

    Just my 2c....
    If your interested, its meant to be kinda like the SME server (now esmith) except with NFS and Webmin....

Similar Threads

  1. mklivecd debian script
    By PAlvarez in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99