pull the cd out and turn the power off
If you are running from CD and have no devices mounted, you can press Alt-F2 and enter
and the computer powers down within just a second.Code:sudo poweroff -f
IMHO, this is fully sufficient if running from CD.
Coming from Mac OS 9, I am not used to waiting when actually trying to shut down the computer. (The bootup time is also a problem. Hopefully Kernel 2.6 will allow for reliable Suspend-to-Disk...)
(Does anyone of the experts know whether the HDs get "synced" when using "poweroff -f"? If yes, one could possibly even use it with HD installs - but I don't recommend it.)
pull the cd out and turn the power off
Re: poweroff -f
This doesn't work on a hard disk install - I did: sync;sync;sync;poweroff -f
and it turned off real good, but then had to do fsck on the next boot.
init 0 works, but is slow.
It seems like there should be something in between - not as slow/thorough as "init 0", but which still unmounts the system disk before turning off.
I tried: mount -o remount,ro /dev/hdaX
but (predictably) this didn't work.
I simply type "halt" or "reboot" sans quotes in a console window and that does it for me on my hd install.
Or you could go through Init 0 and slim down the actions it takes, or even make it all symmetrical(in rc0.d).
My updated system shuts off pretty quickly, so I don't know how much success I can report, but I'll try on the laptop and see how it goes...
Well, I guess
root@lappy:~# init 0
is just a faster way to do shutdown(because it is quite a bit faster: does the kill everything right away instead of waiting.)

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99