-
tohd - then run lilo
Hi
Today I tried the "tohd" command for the first time. One thing I was thinking about was to make a scipt which run lilo and install a boot manager on the hd.
The script could possibly be run from inside /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoinstall.
One problem is to detect if there is already is a boot manager installed. I guess this this could be done by looking for a lilo.conf or grub.conf on all the partitions but it might be better just to ask the user: "Are you sure would install a boot-loader".
The other problem is to find where the Windows installations is located. Usually they would be found at hda1.
Here is the lilo.conf I used today:
Code:
boot=/dev/hda
default=knoppix
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
image=/mnt/hda1/knoppix/vmlinuz
label=knoppix
root=/dev/hda1 # probably not needed
initrd=/mnt/hda1/knoppix/miniroot.gz
append="lang=da quiet noscsi" # home=scan myconf=scan
vga=normal
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label=windows
table=/dev/hda
To install the lilo I start up from the cdrom and run the following commands as root:
Code:
mount /mnt/hda1
mount -o loop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /mnt/test
cp -f /mnt/test/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/knoppix/
cp -f /mnt/test/miniroot.gz /mnt/hda1/knoppix/
umount /mnt/test
umount /mnt/hda1
The following commands should be run each time lilo.conf has to be changed:
Code:
mount /mnt/hda1
vi /mnt/hda1/knoppix/lilo.conf
rm -f /boot # don't know how to avoid this
ln -s /mnt/hda1/knoppix /boot # and this
lilo -v -C /mnt/hda1/knoppix/lilo.conf -b /dev/hda
umount /mnt/hda1
Would you think it is safe to write a script which does the above? I find it a bit scaring to write a boot manager to an end-user harddisk.
/hans
-
Senior Member
registered user
Personally I prefer GRUB because it's more flexible and breaks less often
-
Works great!
chlor,
I just tried your example and it worked great! I can now boot my system without the Knoppix CD....and using the "tohd" command
I ran into a few places in your script where the "knoppix" should be capital "KNOPPIX" because that's how the "tohd" command writes it to the drive... not knowing what version you used, maybe your's was different. Not a big oops, but it might really confuse some newbies.
Code:
note: change the 'da' to 'en' for all you english speakers!!
After the '#' is commented out...add those inside to use them.
I also deleted the other section because the drive only has Knoppix on it...if that's the case you'll get an error lilo tries to find windows.
Code:
boot=/dev/hda
default=knoppix
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
image=/mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/vmlinuz
label=knoppix
root=/dev/hda1 # probably not needed
initrd=/mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/miniroot.gz
append="lang=da quiet noscsi" # home=scan myconf=scan
vga=normal
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label=windows
table=/dev/hda
I created my lilo.conf on the desktop using the default editor cause I'm not good at vi yet....that may help some newbies out there. Also, for some reason, it wouldn't let me make the hda1 read/write, so I had to copy over lilo.conf from the root shell.
Code:
from the default root prompt {KNOPPIX}
to copy the lilo.conf file from the desktop
Code:
cd Desktop
cp -f lilo.conf /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/
To install the lilo I start up from the cdrom and run the following commands as root:
Code:
Code:
mount /mnt/hda1
mount -o loop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /mnt/test
cp -f /mnt/test/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/
cp -f /mnt/test/miniroot.gz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/
umount /mnt/test
umount /mnt/hda1
The following commands should be run each time lilo.conf has to be changed:
Code:
Code:
mount /mnt/hda1
rm -f /boot # don't know how to avoid this
ln -s /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX /boot # and this
lilo -v -C /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/lilo.conf -b /dev/hda
umount /mnt/hda1
Hope this helps somebody else out!
That 'tohd' function is GREAT!!! Thanks everybody!
Similar Threads
-
By tmj0nes99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
-
By lester in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 03:47 PM
-
By Mercury 4063 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:52 PM
-
By crix in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-25-2004, 04:56 PM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95
$119.99

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99