-
Problems w/Radeon 7000VE (& possible solutions)
Knoppix is great! I'm using it as a way to reacquaint myself with the linux world. My experience to date has only been on PPC hardware, so the x86 world is a little new to me.
The problem I've been having is that while booting from the CD, the screen blanks out & loses monitor synch during the boot process &/or after X11 starts up.
Hardware includes: Asus P4B533-VM, P4 1.8 (Northwood), 512MB RAM & most importantly, a Radeon 7000VE.
All my hardware seems to be detected normally. The graphics card is noted as an "ati|radeon QY, using xfree86(vesa) server"
Here's what been tried:- straight boot (eg. "knoppix")
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix screen=1024x768 xmodule=radeon
fb1024x768
All of the above showed no boot progress, no X11 console, & all other virtual consoles tried to synch the monitor, but failed.
Next:- failsafe
knoppix-txt
knoppix vga=normal
knoppix vga=normal xserver=XF86_SVGA
All of these resulted in a visible boot sequence @ 800x600 (although tux didn't show up), however x11 failed. The other consoles worked @ 800x600. Progress was being made...
Next:- knoppix screen=800x600
knoppix screen=800x600 xmodule=radeon
Again, with these I ahd no display at all as the boot happened, however x11 started up. Oddly the other consoles lost monitor synch when I switched to them. At least I had an XWindow system going with these...
Finally:
Code:
knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600
This showed the boot sequence (without tux) @ 800x600, fired up X11, and also had working virtual consoles!
This showed the boot sequence (with tux!) @ 1024x768, fired up X11, and also had working virtual consoles! I finally found a working cheatcode!! So I had to try one more thing...
Code:
fb800x600 xmodule=radeon
Again, the boot sequence showed (with tux) @ 1024x768, but X11 failed. Drat.
So can anyone interpret these results for me? I'm likely to try to create a fully disk-based linux solution & I'd like to sort out what is happening with the video drivers, framebuffers, etc.
Thanks,
Brad
P.S. Thank goodness knoppix boots fast!
Similar Threads
-
By iD:0t in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
-
By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 10:43 PM
-
By mors in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 04:52 PM
-
By Eavy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99