-
Knoppix Network boot from a samba server?
I've been messing around with booting knoppix over a network. I've had a redhat server pushing out knoppix images, but, I was wondering if there is any way to serve the image off of samba instead of NFS. This would make it possible to server knoppix from an all windows server environment. PXE and TFTP under windows has been tackled by the PXES people. http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/m...ent/index.html I want to use knoppix over pxes because it's cool
and it has great hardware recognition.
Thanks,
Collin
-
Clarification
This stuff is all related to the Knoppix Terminal server. When you run the terminal server it runs a TFTP server, a DHCP server and NFS. It also sets up a special boot image that tells computers to “mount this partition over NFS”. When the PXE client connects to the computer it's gets this boot image, and looks for the KNOPPIX compressed file system on the NFS share. My issue is that I can't always run a DHCP server on any old network I like. I'd like to be able to server knoppix images in a diverse server environment. That would mean using smb to host the image, and using samba to access it from Knoppix.
Currently when you set up KTS it creates a pxelinux config with this in it:
DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND nfsdir=192.168.0.3:/cdrom nodhcp lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init
apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi
hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet wheelmouse desktop=icewm
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300
The first parameter is nfsdir=nfshost/place_to_find_image. The rest looks like knoppix parameters and cheat codes. Does anyone know what the nfsdir parameter applies to? Is it a syslinux thing, a knoppix kernel thing? What I would love is to be able to change that to smbdir=hostname:/name_of_share.
I then have the ability to server this on a windows network, or a linux one with no NFS running. For some reason some people do not like running NFS .. I don't quite know why but then again I'm not a systems/network engineer guy.
Similar Threads
-
By bleckie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
-
By venom_zx in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
-
By adrianmak in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-09-2004, 04:27 AM
-
By charliet in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By koselan in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM
$289.95

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

USB 2.0 Network Print Server LAN Print Share Server USB Wireless Print Server
$25.19