Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Compact Flash different sizes in USB reader - wiil not mount

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Compact Flash different sizes in USB reader - wiil not mount

    I've noticed the following problem using compact flash cards of different sizes in a PQI (GL641USB based) USB card reader. The CF cards I have are 8Mb, 32Mb, 64Mb and 128Mb (formatted FAT16 or FAT12 for the 8mb). When I remove the USB reader and replace the CF card for another of a different size, it always comes back with:

    "Could not mount device - The reported error was: mount: wrong fs type, bad option....etc. etc."

    This is despite unmounting the card reader and physically removing it before swapping cards. Basically, after the first mount, it remembers the size of the CF card, even after it's been removed and replaced. It took a long time to notice this! I thought it was some sort of problem with the cards getting corrupted when written to (I expected some sort of problem with the PQI reader, some mention is made on the web about a patch for the GL641USB chip). I even resorted to formatting the CF cards in an obsolete OS (WIN98SE!!!).

    Anyone know how to force the system to recognise the change of CF card without having to reboot Linux? (loggining in/out/in to kde doesn't work).

    I'll be Googling for an answer also....

    Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Oh, I have noticed that doing this works:-

    rmmod usb-storage
    modprobe usb-storage

    between card swaps - but this is hardly 'elegant'

    I've noticed that the image previews in kde also do not get updated.....

    Stu.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I get similar when I swap data stick and card reader. I think (hope!) this is the last usb bug in kernel 2.4! Can anyone using 2.6 comment?

Similar Threads

  1. Install to Compact Flash option like Flash Puppy
    By monckywrench in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
  2. Usb Compact flash problems
    By Randy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 09:48 PM
  3. SMC 2632W, Compact Flash, PCMCIA on IBM TP T21 47U
    By knewbex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM
  4. Mount USB 6-in-1 Multi-Flash card reader without recompile
    By spurious in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
  5. Mounting SmartMedia, Compact Flash, etc
    By dunbar in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040 picture

Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040

$399.99



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99