Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wireless network in KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-20-EN

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1

    Wireless network in KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-20-EN

    I'm having trouble initialising the ESSID of my wireless
    networkcard. If I change the ESSID in my router to
    "linux-wlan" everything works. So I can get it to work but
    I want a different ESSID.

    I set the ESSID with the program (MENU->KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Wavelan configuration)
    It initializes a file called '/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts'
    This file is interpreted by the program /etc/pcmcia/wireless.
    I managed to track down the command that is executed and
    tried it on the command line with the following result :

    Code:
    SH > iwconfig wlan0 essid hallo
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0; Function not implemented.
    I noticed a Warning when executing iwconfig :
    Code:
    SH > iwconfig
    ...
    Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 14
    of Wireless extension, while this program is using version 15.
    Some things might be broken...
    ...
    Is there something broken ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    I noticed the same and am wondering if there is an easy fix , how does one update the files in /lib the prism2.o files that seem to be broken.
    Is it possible to mount /lib rw on the ramdisk or something?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Did this work in earlier versions of Knoppix? Then please send the bug description to Klaus Knopper.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    I have gotten a specific ESSID to work, but my methods are very kludgy.

    I'm using Knoppix v3.2-2003-05-20 on a Dell notebook with a Linksys AP and an Orinoco Gold card. I also get the version 14 versus 15 mentioned above.

    Initial bootup identifies my Orinoco Gold card correctly, but I get no Internet access (wireless card not found). Running iwconfig or netcardconfig and selecting DHCP produces no results.

    This is what works for me: Open a shell and run netcardconfig and select STATIC configuration. Enter info from LAN (internal) connection (notebook=192.168.1.100, gateway=192.168.1.1, no DNS). After ifconfig sets the LAN parameters a wireless configuration tool opens up and requests wireless parameters like ESSID and channel and stuff. I enter my specific ESSID and channe number and the program (iwconfig?) writes these parameters. Nothing works yet, but we're almost there.

    Rerun netcardconfig again, but select DHCP this time. Sending DHCP broadcast from eth0 is now "OK" and "auto lo eth0" sets everything up. From now on wireless performs correctly with my specific ESSID and channel number.

    If I could restore myconfig from a floppy (to save these settings) I'd be a happy camper...


    -jb

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    If it's a Prism card, dont't use iwconfig for setting the SSID, but use the following instead:
    Code:
     wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
     wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream authtype=opensystem
     ifup wlan0
     pump -i wlan0
    Of course, you should use your own SSID instead of "SpeedStream"
    probono

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    orinoco is not prism based. iwconfig works.

    Just sharing my experience with my orinoco silver. All that is needed is the following 2 lines:

    #iwconfig eth0 essid "whatever" enc "your WEP key"
    #pump

    you may put this in the knoppix.sh

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jBeach
    I have gotten a specific ESSID to work, but my methods are very kludgy.
    <snip>
    -jb
    thanks a million! your method worked great for me running integrated intel wireless on my dell latitude...

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tmuka
    thanks a million! your method worked great for me running integrated intel wireless on my dell latitude...
    You're welcome. Glad it helped.

    After reading an earlier message, I have to say that garyng has a much easier way of setting up a wireless card. I wasn't familiar with the pump command.

    Boot the Knoppix CD normally.
    #iwconfig eth0 essid "whatever"
    #pump

    This method is much quicker than what I was doing... especially since I can't save and restore network configurations.

    -jb

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 09:17 PM
  2. KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-10-28-EN on bittorrent, what's new?
    By gneumarke in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
  3. KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-26 - display problems
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:12 AM
  4. Making KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.ISO
    By yhw22 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:13 PM
  5. KNOPPIX_V3.1-2002-12-12-EN.iso vs V3.1-2003-01-20-EN.iso
    By audioaficionado in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Gigabyte GA-7ZX Series VIA KT133 Socket A Motherboard User's Manual Vintage PC picture

Gigabyte GA-7ZX Series VIA KT133 Socket A Motherboard User's Manual Vintage PC

$9.95



Vintage Fossil Leather Nylon Commuter Crossbody Messenger Bag Flap Top Soft picture

Vintage Fossil Leather Nylon Commuter Crossbody Messenger Bag Flap Top Soft

$28.75



Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$750.00



Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO) picture

Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO)

$75.00



MITS 8800 D/C BD REV 1 Blank Circuit Board PCB - Vintage Computer picture

MITS 8800 D/C BD REV 1 Blank Circuit Board PCB - Vintage Computer

$49.99



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99