Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Complete and utter newbie q. Display settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Complete and utter newbie q. Display settings

    I have officially lost my linux virginity and bought a copy of knoppix 3.3 on cd. The only problem is the display is heavily distorted and no amount of fiddling on my part seems to produce any results. On start up the screen is fine but once knoppix has loaded the image bends in and overlaps itself on either side of the screen. At start up it gives a list of possible commands so i enter Knoppix screen 1024x768. which is the original setting from win2k, and away it goes i tried several diff ones but this seems to ahve no effect at all...

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Complete and utter newbie q. Display settings

    Refer to ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...cheatcodes.txt

    --Try boot: ' knoppix xvrefresh=60 ' or whatever is on the back of your monitor. If you have a decent monitor with controls in the front, you may need to adjust the picture using those. If these don't work, post monitor make/model here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5thelephant
    I have officially lost my linux virginity and bought a copy of knoppix 3.3 on cd. The only problem is the display is heavily distorted and no amount of fiddling on my part seems to produce any results. On start up the screen is fine but once knoppix has loaded the image bends in and overlaps itself on either side of the screen. At start up it gives a list of possible commands so i enter Knoppix screen 1024x768. which is the original setting from win2k, and away it goes i tried several diff ones but this seems to ahve no effect at all...

    Any suggestions?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Positively Lost in Knoppix
    Posts
    11
    Try knoppix screen=640x480 for a start.
    That's what I'm stuck at so far.
    When Xwindows starts in KDE, I have 3 overlapping images of the screen tiled horizontally across the screen, if I try 1024x768.

    My monitor is an HP D2804A Super VGA, and I have no idea what to use for H and V refresh rates, they're not on the back.
    I can get 1024x768 24 bit color in Windows 98SE and the Mandrake Live CD, but neither of those tell refresh rates either.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by green_man
    Try knoppix screen=640x480 for a start.
    That's what I'm stuck at so far.
    When Xwindows starts in KDE, I have 3 overlapping images of the screen tiled horizontally across the screen, if I try 1024x768.

    My monitor is an HP D2804A Super VGA, and I have no idea what to use for H and V refresh rates, they're not on the back.
    I can get 1024x768 24 bit color in Windows 98SE and the Mandrake Live CD, but neither of those tell refresh rates either.
    Try knoppix xvrefresh=60 screen=1024x768 and you may want to put the xmodule=?? cheat code for your video card on the line as well.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Positively Lost in Knoppix
    Posts
    11
    Try knoppix xvrefresh=60 screen=1024x768 and you may want to put the xmodule=?? cheat code for your video card on the line as well.
    60 is not the correct value; just like 5thelephant, I have tried several with no joy.
    I don't actually have a video card.
    Or a sound card either, I have that insane shared memory all-in-one processing on the motherboard, which I suspect is part of the problem.
    I do know it uses the Sis 630 chip, but I've no idea which module to tell it to use.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Try a framebuffer mode.

    boot: ' fb1024x768 '

    --Aside from that, you can try passing ' xmodule=svga '.

    Quote Originally Posted by green_man
    Try knoppix xvrefresh=60 screen=1024x768 and you may want to put the xmodule=?? cheat code for your video card on the line as well.
    60 is not the correct value; just like 5thelephant, I have tried several with no joy.
    I don't actually have a video card.
    Or a sound card either, I have that insane shared memory all-in-one processing on the motherboard, which I suspect is part of the problem.
    I do know it uses the Sis 630 chip, but I've no idea which module to tell it to use.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Positively Lost in Knoppix
    Posts
    11
    --Try a framebuffer mode.

    boot: ' fb1024x768 '

    --Aside from that, you can try passing ' xmodule=svga '.
    Thanks, I'll give that a whirl, and let you know how it turns out.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    11
    If that doesn't work, try:

    knoppix noddc

    at the boot prompt. I had similar problems & this worked for me.

    Cheers,
    Ian.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot Access Display Settings after hdd install
    By Coolnat2004 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 11:40 PM
  2. Need help for internet; complete newbie!
    By MusicLaunch in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
  3. Newbie can't complete boot up
    By Ken in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:50 AM
  4. Display settings changed.
    By digiSal in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 08:34 PM
  5. Wrong display settings?
    By jhtvdv in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 09:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99