View Poll Results: Would you like to have a GUI for the user login screen?
- Voters
- 8. You may not vote on this poll
-
Yes, I think the multi-user GUI is the ONE thing M$ got right.
-
No, I like my console style login.
-
I don't care/know.
-
GUI Login
I am new to Linux. I have only been using Knoppix for about 2 weeks on my Win XP Pro box. I am very seriously thinking about dumping XP and doing a hard disk install of knoppix.
Alas, there is but one thing holding me back: the multiple user GUI on XP.
My wife and I use the same computer and have come to enjoy the multi-user GUI in XP. I know that Linux is a multi-user OS and has been since for ever and ever, amen. But do you know of a GUI to simplify the process?
I will be frank, I consider myself very adept at dealing with technology and this user switching is giving ME a headache. This just won't fly with my wife. It needs to be simple. Not that she is simple, she just doesn't care enough about the tech side to learn something else new (sound like the average user to anyone else but me?).
I don't expect that there is something built into Knoppix, but perhaps there is a project out there that is trying take on my problem already.
Please help with any information.
Thank you in advance.
-
I think you are a little confused...
There is in fact something built into Knoppix for this (and most versions of linux have it), it is called XDM, try installing Knoppix, you will see that it uses this automatically, no console input is used at all. If you need any help switching from XP, you can e-mail me at: andymadigan at yahoo dot com
-
Type of GUI
So what type of GUI does it offer? I saw some screen shots and all it looks like is the win 2k login. I looked it up on the net after your post and saw that Mandrake uses a similar login to XP, is that the same program with a different UI?
Sorry to bug you with such Noob questions, but I have to be sure before I jump in. I think I may be able to get a spare HD to install it on to test so if I don't like it I can go back.
-
Senior Member
registered user
GUI login
Knoppix is just about the only distro that doesn't use a login screen - specifically becuase its a live CD. When you make an install you get the debian login GUI automatically.
there are three GUI login managers out there....
xdm is the original (dm = display manager)
gdm is the one that comes with gnome
kdm is the one that comes with kde.
Mandrake being weird decided to make their won, like 3 isn't enough!!!
its a modified kdm and its called mdkdm.
Each has advantages and disadvanges and all are based on xdm.
gdm is better for remote logins, if you have one computer with lots of people connecting to their desktop from thin clients...
kdm is perhaps simpler and prettier but more work for the XDMPC broadcast from dumb terminals. (which as a home user you aren't interested in)
What your describing is perfectly normal for linux, indeed automatic logins of a single user are outside the context of a liveCD not recommended.
-
Icon Login
So to ask a more specific question now that I understand a little more, does xdm, kdm, or gdm offer a icon style login like winxp? Or are they all win2k style?
-
Senior Member
registered user
deutschemonte
hehe
Its linux and it will take some getting used to.
Its whatever you want !!!
You don't even need a dm at all you can do it from a CLI
I think KDM has more themes ...
However non of them touch OS-X for changing users, very cool 3d rotation but just eye candy!!1
I think what you need to do is a HDD instal then you can start playing....
decide what you want etc.
themes.kde.org is a good place to look.
-
Looks Great
Looks Great!
I did a HDD install and the login looks great.
I am having a very big problem now, but I am going to start a new topic for that.
Thanks for your help!
Similar Threads
-
By torbu in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
-
By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By Triorieel in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
-
By ssnow in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By spydie in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 05:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%
$1299.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

LOT OF 16 M321R4GA0PB2-CCP Samsung 32GB DDR5-6400MHz ECC REG RDIMM 1Rx4 Memory
$24000.00

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$489.96

SK hynix 32GB 4x8GB PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA41GR7AFR4N-UH
$125.00