-
Senior Member
registered user
password-less su to root?"
I'm remastering in a chrooted X environment. All of a sudden I can't su as knoppix. It prompts me for a password, but I have not set one. How can I get it back the way it was, so I can su wihtout entering any password?
I think this started when I launched kcontrol to edit the login manager module and hit ignore when it prompted me for a root password.
-
A couple of things to look for:
- You're running bash as your shell for users knoppix and root (last field in /etc/passwd)
- There is an alias in the file /etc/profile that aliases "su" to "sudo su"
- There is a file /etc/sudoers that allows the knoppix user to sudo anything without a password
- The 2nd field (encrypted password) in /etc/shadow for both knoppix and root should be "*"
Hope you find one of these set wrong
-
Other thing that you can do is go to knoppix sesion and load the root console then type passwd and it change your root password for let you make changes in the configuration that you need
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, I'll check on those things. I know /etc/sudoers is ok, and I know both accounts still have a null password. It's probably /etc/profile. I tried to alias sudo su in knoppix's .bashrc but that didn't work...
-
Senior Member
registered user
All those things check out, but the alias is being superceded I think. It's in /etc/profile and in ~/.bashrc. But in KDE, I have to type sudo su manually or else it prompts me for a password. It doesn't do this in other WM's. Seems like something in KDE has taken over my ability to su.
Similar Threads
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
-
By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
-
By Syrus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
-
By stol in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
-
By villain_2006 in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Hynix HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK 16GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM Memory Module
$75.00

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00