Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: password-less su to root?"

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    password-less su to root?"

    I'm remastering in a chrooted X environment. All of a sudden I can't su as knoppix. It prompts me for a password, but I have not set one. How can I get it back the way it was, so I can su wihtout entering any password?

    I think this started when I launched kcontrol to edit the login manager module and hit ignore when it prompted me for a root password.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1
    A couple of things to look for:

    - You're running bash as your shell for users knoppix and root (last field in /etc/passwd)
    - There is an alias in the file /etc/profile that aliases "su" to "sudo su"
    - There is a file /etc/sudoers that allows the knoppix user to sudo anything without a password
    - The 2nd field (encrypted password) in /etc/shadow for both knoppix and root should be "*"

    Hope you find one of these set wrong

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    1
    Other thing that you can do is go to knoppix sesion and load the root console then type passwd and it change your root password for let you make changes in the configuration that you need

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Thanks, I'll check on those things. I know /etc/sudoers is ok, and I know both accounts still have a null password. It's probably /etc/profile. I tried to alias sudo su in knoppix's .bashrc but that didn't work...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    All those things check out, but the alias is being superceded I think. It's in /etc/profile and in ~/.bashrc. But in KDE, I have to type sudo su manually or else it prompts me for a password. It doesn't do this in other WM's. Seems like something in KDE has taken over my ability to su.

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. root Password?
    By Syrus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
  4. root password
    By stol in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
  5. What is the default "/root" password?
    By villain_2006 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1988 APPLE MACINTOSH “3 Stooges” 512K Romsimm AP1127-02 VERY RARE picture

Vintage 1988 APPLE MACINTOSH “3 Stooges” 512K Romsimm AP1127-02 VERY RARE

$399.00



Apple Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model Apple IIe picture

Apple Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model Apple IIe

$225.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Quadra 950 w/ Key - (FOR PARTS) picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Quadra 950 w/ Key - (FOR PARTS)

$199.90



vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New picture

vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New

$59.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$170.00



Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE picture

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE

$99.99



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED picture

Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED

$99.90



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119 picture

Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119

$350.00