Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: password-less su to root?"

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    password-less su to root?"

    I'm remastering in a chrooted X environment. All of a sudden I can't su as knoppix. It prompts me for a password, but I have not set one. How can I get it back the way it was, so I can su wihtout entering any password?

    I think this started when I launched kcontrol to edit the login manager module and hit ignore when it prompted me for a root password.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1
    A couple of things to look for:

    - You're running bash as your shell for users knoppix and root (last field in /etc/passwd)
    - There is an alias in the file /etc/profile that aliases "su" to "sudo su"
    - There is a file /etc/sudoers that allows the knoppix user to sudo anything without a password
    - The 2nd field (encrypted password) in /etc/shadow for both knoppix and root should be "*"

    Hope you find one of these set wrong

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    1
    Other thing that you can do is go to knoppix sesion and load the root console then type passwd and it change your root password for let you make changes in the configuration that you need

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Thanks, I'll check on those things. I know /etc/sudoers is ok, and I know both accounts still have a null password. It's probably /etc/profile. I tried to alias sudo su in knoppix's .bashrc but that didn't work...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    All those things check out, but the alias is being superceded I think. It's in /etc/profile and in ~/.bashrc. But in KDE, I have to type sudo su manually or else it prompts me for a password. It doesn't do this in other WM's. Seems like something in KDE has taken over my ability to su.

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. root Password?
    By Syrus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
  4. root password
    By stol in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
  5. What is the default "/root" password?
    By villain_2006 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



LSI MegaRAID 9211-8i 8-port PCI-E 6Gb SATA SAS Raid Controller picture

LSI MegaRAID 9211-8i 8-port PCI-E 6Gb SATA SAS Raid Controller

$35.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$76.98



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



NEW Lantronix UDS1100-POE - One Port RS232/RS422/RS485 to IP Ethernet 950-00169 picture

NEW Lantronix UDS1100-POE - One Port RS232/RS422/RS485 to IP Ethernet 950-00169

$89.00