Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: password-less su to root?"

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    password-less su to root?"

    I'm remastering in a chrooted X environment. All of a sudden I can't su as knoppix. It prompts me for a password, but I have not set one. How can I get it back the way it was, so I can su wihtout entering any password?

    I think this started when I launched kcontrol to edit the login manager module and hit ignore when it prompted me for a root password.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1
    A couple of things to look for:

    - You're running bash as your shell for users knoppix and root (last field in /etc/passwd)
    - There is an alias in the file /etc/profile that aliases "su" to "sudo su"
    - There is a file /etc/sudoers that allows the knoppix user to sudo anything without a password
    - The 2nd field (encrypted password) in /etc/shadow for both knoppix and root should be "*"

    Hope you find one of these set wrong

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    1
    Other thing that you can do is go to knoppix sesion and load the root console then type passwd and it change your root password for let you make changes in the configuration that you need

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Thanks, I'll check on those things. I know /etc/sudoers is ok, and I know both accounts still have a null password. It's probably /etc/profile. I tried to alias sudo su in knoppix's .bashrc but that didn't work...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    All those things check out, but the alias is being superceded I think. It's in /etc/profile and in ~/.bashrc. But in KDE, I have to type sudo su manually or else it prompts me for a password. It doesn't do this in other WM's. Seems like something in KDE has taken over my ability to su.

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. root Password?
    By Syrus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
  4. root password
    By stol in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
  5. What is the default "/root" password?
    By villain_2006 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung PM991a Lot Of 11 ~ 512GB NVMe SSD Solid State Drive 100% -84% Health picture

Samsung PM991a Lot Of 11 ~ 512GB NVMe SSD Solid State Drive 100% -84% Health

$640.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00



Samsung EB-BT367ABA Silver Replacement Battery for Galaxy Tab Tanlet picture

Samsung EB-BT367ABA Silver Replacement Battery for Galaxy Tab Tanlet

$22.86