Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: KDE3.2 install

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46

    KDE3.2 install

    When I tried to install kmplayer (apt-get install kmplayer) apt-get began
    to upgrade about 37 packages mostly KDE related before installeing kmplayer, but half-way this proces , apt-get frooze, and now I have a messed up KDE. When I want to reinstall KDE I get depencies problems,canot install.

    Does anybody know how to install KDE3.2 on knoppix 3.2 system (HDD install) Or if that is a bad idea, reinstall KDE from knoppixCD whitout a complete reinstall of the whole system?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Do a search for this: the real issue for upgrading Kde seems to be that you need to point your sources.list at unstable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: KDE3.2 install

    Quote Originally Posted by jackren
    Does anybody know how to install KDE3.2 on knoppix 3.2 system (HDD install)
    Do you really mean KDE 3.2? This only exists as alpha at the moment,
    so I doubt there's any official debian package. If you want to restore a
    working 3.1.3, here's an old post from this forum (that I cannot find
    back right now) which worked fine for me. Credit to the original poster.
    I myself just upgraded to KDE 3.1.3 so here is what I did:

    1. at the command line as root, type:
    $ kedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Save a back-up copy, then delete everything in the file. Copy the following line and save:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
    (note, you might want a closer server than http.us.debian.org.debian, such as
    deb ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian unstable main
    3. At the command line as root type:
    $ apt-get update
    4. You can now start the copying process by typing:
    $ apt-get install xxxx
    where xxxx are the following files:

    arts
    kde-i18n-it <-- Only if you want Italian modifications to KDE
    kdeaddons
    kdeadmin
    kdeartwork
    kdebase
    kdebindings
    kdeedu
    kdegames
    kdegraphics
    kdelibs
    kdemultimedia
    kdenetwork
    kdepim
    kdetoys
    kdeutils
    quanta

    5. Restart your computer and you should be done!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    there is a possibility to even run kde 3.2 CVS on debian, there is an (of course unofficial) kde CVS repository, you can find it using www.apt-get.org searching on 'kde'.

    I use it its quite good, and its nice to see kde3.2 will be really improved alot...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    I use it its quite good, and its nice to see kde3.2 will be really improved alot...
    Actually I might like to try that one of these days on a spare partition and a fresh
    install; would the above package list(with an adapted sources.list) work?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    wow, be carefull, it is quite difficult (lot errors u have to resolve, at least I had some). I did just an apt-get dist-upgrade after putting the appropriate site in sources.list.
    problems are mostly files wich are present in 2 packages (so apt-get, which doesnt allow this, gives an error). you must manually use dpkg to overwrite those files (with --force-overwrite, try man dpkg)

    good luck!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    I changed apt-config and replaced "testing " with "unstable"

    also I put entrys for KDEcvs in "/etc/apt/sources.list"
    then did a apt-get update .
    But when I do apt-get install kde ,
    I have unmet depencies for kcontrol and konqueror,

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    wow, be carefull, it is quite difficult (lot errors u have to resolve, at least I had some). I did just an apt-get dist-upgrade after putting the appropriate site in sources.list.
    problems are mostly files wich are present in 2 packages (so apt-get, which doesnt allow this, gives an error). you must manually use dpkg to overwrite those files (with --force-overwrite, try man dpkg)

    good luck!
    In addition KDE3.2 CVS will break at least twice this summer it fried my system and in the current release Konqueror does not seem to like playing streaming content from the net it gives me a I/O error every time I try to connect.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by jackren
    I changed apt-config and replaced "testing " with "unstable"

    also I put entrys for KDEcvs in "/etc/apt/sources.list"
    then did a apt-get update .
    But when I do apt-get install kde ,
    I have unmet depencies for kcontrol and konqueror,
    You can try commenting out all the stable and testing sources then apt-get update and then install. Also when you are installing use a line like apt-get install kdebase=exact_version_number to force apt to install the version from the CVS you may have to do this many times with the different programs you need.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    installing cvs only worked for me after completely removing the default-release-line from apt's config file....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to make apt-get to KDE3.2?
    By Amsicora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
  2. Knoppix with kde3.1.3 ??
    By Icaro in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:03 PM
  3. KDE3.1
    By mrblah in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:02 AM
  4. Removing bad Knoppix-KDE3.1 install from NT RAID box
    By dcuny in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 12:05 AM
  5. memory leak in KDE3.1?
    By robelanator in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95