Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Moving my home directory to another partition?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Moving my home directory to another partition?

    When I initially did my HD install, I didn't really leave enough space on the partition where I did the install, which in my case was hda2 (with hda1 as as FAT32 and hda3 as swap). I've since stripped hda1 down to the barest minimum as I don't use it anymore (WIN98SE boot partition) and have used that space to make hda4.....

    So the question is, can I move, say, my /home/user (me!) directory onto hda4? and retain the working (system) stuff on hda2.....?

    I recall this was an option during the HD install and has the advantage of keeping work (user) files separate from system stuff, should a system format/re-install be needed.....

    Is this a daft question? - I know I can use the space on hda4 but the system doesn't view that as my user space, e.g. when I login..... Don't have a clue how to change this!

    Cheers, Stuart.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Yah you sure can move /home and Stephen wrote a howto for it. It's in the Docs section.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    I used this howto when moving my home directory:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...-partplan.html

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by m_yates
    I used this howto when moving my home directory:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...-partplan.html
    That looks interesting, but I like the Knoppix-based way better. Since I'm a Linux newbie, the IBM method's mounting/unmounting and switching to single-user mode would have been a bit more than I'd have been ready for. Besides, using Knoppix to move files & directories around on an already-installed system is just what it's designed for, right? Here's the direct link, by the way: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...PartitionHowTo

    Sure, you could use a hand-cranked auger to drill a hole, if you really want to know how a hole gets drilled... but sometimes it's better to just use an electric drill.

    By the way, don't make the mistake I did. I left off the final newline in my /etc/fstab file, and now Linux complains to me about it every time I boot. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

    Here's a question of my own on this subject: should I move anything other than /home? I've only got 6 gig between the two partitions (plus swap) -- would it be worth the trouble?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    the Knoppix howto and ibm howto use essentially the same commands. I'm not sure if they are both hand cranked augers or both electric drills, but they are essentially the same. I suggested the ibm howto because it has a little more explanation as to why things are done and what the commands do.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    By the way, don't make the mistake I did. I left off the final newline in my /etc/fstab file, and now Linux complains to me about it every time I boot. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.
    Simply go to the end of /etc/fstab and hit return. There just needs to be an empty line at the end of fstab.

    Here's a question of my own on this subject: should I move anything other than /home? I've only got 6 gig between the two partitions (plus swap) -- would it be worth the trouble?
    There's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to partition really but it certainly is possible to have Linux spread across multiple partitions. Here's my layout though on a larger drive:

    Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1 ext3 942M 363M 532M 41% /
    /dev/hda3 ext3 2.8G 209M 2.5G 8% /home
    /dev/hda6 ext3 942M 19M 876M 3% /tmp
    /dev/hda7 ext3 942M 329M 566M 37% /var
    /dev/hda2 ext3 2.8G 2.3G 356M 87% /usr
    Of course I just did mine when I installed .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. changing /home directory to another partition
    By Keyser in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 03:31 AM
  3. home - directory on hdd
    By DieselDriver in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
  4. Installing to home directory etc...
    By justwes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:21 PM
  5. Moving /home
    By Dr U in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$236.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00