Yah you sure can move /home and Stephen wrote a howto for it. It's in the Docs section.
When I initially did my HD install, I didn't really leave enough space on the partition where I did the install, which in my case was hda2 (with hda1 as as FAT32 and hda3 as swap). I've since stripped hda1 down to the barest minimum as I don't use it anymore (WIN98SE boot partition) and have used that space to make hda4.....
So the question is, can I move, say, my /home/user (me!) directory onto hda4? and retain the working (system) stuff on hda2.....?
I recall this was an option during the HD install and has the advantage of keeping work (user) files separate from system stuff, should a system format/re-install be needed.....
Is this a daft question? - I know I can use the space on hda4 but the system doesn't view that as my user space, e.g. when I login..... Don't have a clue how to change this!
Cheers, Stuart.....
Yah you sure can move /home and Stephen wrote a howto for it. It's in the Docs section.
I used this howto when moving my home directory:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...-partplan.html
That looks interesting, but I like the Knoppix-based way better. Since I'm a Linux newbie, the IBM method's mounting/unmounting and switching to single-user mode would have been a bit more than I'd have been ready for. Besides, using Knoppix to move files & directories around on an already-installed system is just what it's designed for, right? Here's the direct link, by the way: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...PartitionHowToOriginally Posted by m_yates
Sure, you could use a hand-cranked auger to drill a hole, if you really want to know how a hole gets drilled... but sometimes it's better to just use an electric drill.
By the way, don't make the mistake I did. I left off the final newline in my /etc/fstab file, and now Linux complains to me about it every time I boot. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.
Here's a question of my own on this subject: should I move anything other than /home? I've only got 6 gig between the two partitions (plus swap) -- would it be worth the trouble?
the Knoppix howto and ibm howto use essentially the same commands. I'm not sure if they are both hand cranked augers or both electric drills, but they are essentially the same. I suggested the ibm howto because it has a little more explanation as to why things are done and what the commands do.
Simply go to the end of /etc/fstab and hit return. There just needs to be an empty line at the end of fstab.Originally Posted by RobertB
There's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to partition really but it certainly is possible to have Linux spread across multiple partitions. Here's my layout though on a larger drive:Here's a question of my own on this subject: should I move anything other than /home? I've only got 6 gig between the two partitions (plus swap) -- would it be worth the trouble?
Of course I just did mine when I installed .Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 ext3 942M 363M 532M 41% /
/dev/hda3 ext3 2.8G 209M 2.5G 8% /home
/dev/hda6 ext3 942M 19M 876M 3% /tmp
/dev/hda7 ext3 942M 329M 566M 37% /var
/dev/hda2 ext3 2.8G 2.3G 356M 87% /usr![]()

Vintage Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop Celeron 600MHz 20GB Floppy Drive *Windows Me
$140.00
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts
$49.78
NWT Vintage TUMI Safecase Deluxe Adjustable Computer Brief Bag 2632 w/ Sleeve
$449.50
NCR System 3000 UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS Administrator Guide Manual D1-2266-E Vintage
$200.00
Lot of 4 Vintage Intel i486 DX2 CPU Processors for Gold Scrap Recovery
$99.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99