Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: MBR issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    MBR issue

    I've got this problem with booting up (might be MBR might not be). Here's what happened.

    I installed XP pro SP1 about 2 weeks ago and at the same time I installed Debian 3.02r on another partition. Made the bad move of allowing lilo to take over the mbr. After a week or so, I realized I didn't need debian and that I needed space. So I made a really stupid move of using partition magic to take over all of the non-NTFS space. This worked fine and I was happy for a few days. Until I decided to shut my computer down for the night. (I usually kept it on.) The next morning when I started it up I got a screen filled with 40's (the number 40 scrolling across the screen on every line). I figured it was something wrong with the boot so I looked up stuff online. I found the fixmbr and fixboot things for the xp recovery system. Ran both and then tried to change the bootcfg file. I rebooted and I got the message "Operating system not found." I've been on KNOPPIX for a while trying to find the solution. The other day I decided to hell with my harddrive and formatted the entire thing and went for a clean install of Windows XP professional SP1. Installation went okay until the point in which I had to reboot. System rebooted and then gave me the same Operating system not found message. After this point, I've tried everything. Hard drive installation of knx (with lilo taking over mbr and without). Tried installing debian again (with and without lilo taking over mbr). All this has been to no avail. It always just tells me "Operating system not found." I'm pretty sure the harddrive isn't physically defective (It's a fairly new computer) Any ideas on how I can get past the Operating System not found message? Thanks!

    Edit: The system I'm on is a laptop and doesn't have a floppy drive. I don't have a 98 cd so I can't try the fdisk /mbr thing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Did you check (eg with cfdisk) that you have one (and only one) partition marked as active (bootable), and that it is the one you want (the XP one if I followed correctly).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    Right now I've got Knoppix as the only bootable partition on the C drive. (the other partition is the swap file and the rest of the hard drive is unpartitioned). Lilo's currently supposed to be in the MBR, whether it is or isn't I don't know.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1

    got a fix

    do one thing man, to restore the MBR for just booting windows, thrown in that Windows XP CD and boot from it, and choose to repair the install pressing 'R' key when asked for. and this will ask u for the Administrators password and then u will get at a command prompt like

    C:\ WINDOWS\

    so here u just type 'fixboot' - this will rewrite a new MBR and this will make only the C partition with Windows XP bootable and just type 'exit' and restart and everything shud be fine, let us know how it goes. u might wanna reformat the other partition from inside Windows XP, using computer management from administrative tools !

    cheers....

    newNovice.

Similar Threads

  1. Network issue with 3.6
    By mjlavall in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
  2. Video Issue
    By prophetikos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:51 AM
  3. SECURITY ISSUE
    By alxdotnet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. Apt-Setup Issue
    By clivesay in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:14 AM
  5. apt-get issue
    By albertfuller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99