-
MBR issue
I've got this problem with booting up (might be MBR might not be). Here's what happened.
I installed XP pro SP1 about 2 weeks ago and at the same time I installed Debian 3.02r on another partition. Made the bad move of allowing lilo to take over the mbr. After a week or so, I realized I didn't need debian and that I needed space. So I made a really stupid move of using partition magic to take over all of the non-NTFS space. This worked fine and I was happy for a few days. Until I decided to shut my computer down for the night. (I usually kept it on.) The next morning when I started it up I got a screen filled with 40's (the number 40 scrolling across the screen on every line). I figured it was something wrong with the boot so I looked up stuff online. I found the fixmbr and fixboot things for the xp recovery system. Ran both and then tried to change the bootcfg file. I rebooted and I got the message "Operating system not found." I've been on KNOPPIX for a while trying to find the solution. The other day I decided to hell with my harddrive and formatted the entire thing and went for a clean install of Windows XP professional SP1. Installation went okay until the point in which I had to reboot. System rebooted and then gave me the same Operating system not found message. After this point, I've tried everything. Hard drive installation of knx (with lilo taking over mbr and without). Tried installing debian again (with and without lilo taking over mbr). All this has been to no avail. It always just tells me "Operating system not found." I'm pretty sure the harddrive isn't physically defective (It's a fairly new computer) Any ideas on how I can get past the Operating System not found message? Thanks!
Edit: The system I'm on is a laptop and doesn't have a floppy drive. I don't have a 98 cd so I can't try the fdisk /mbr thing.
Similar Threads
-
By mjlavall in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
-
By prophetikos in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:51 AM
-
By alxdotnet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By clivesay in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:14 AM
-
By albertfuller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope
$89.00