-
Knoppix as a multimedia server?
I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.
I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.
Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?
thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try running a vncserver so you can work grapically from another computer with your knoppix desktop in a vnc client window.
I think the command to start a vncserver is something like
vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 hostname:1
Then you'd run a vnc client on another computer and connect to hostname:1
-
Any special settings for X?
How is the connection made, SSH? Do I have to do anything special to set that up?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix as a multimedia server?

Originally Posted by
JockVSJock
I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.
I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.
Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?
thanks
I used to have a setup like this. I would ssh into the media box and play tunes via mp3blaster (you can apt-get it). Mp3blaster is a very cool ncurses mp3/ogg player. Of course if you can ssh into it and it is a reasonably fast box, you could also run a gui app like rhythmbox (which is a great multimedia jukebox). Another option is running something like Zina or Netjuke. That way you could access the media box from any machine on your network with a browser. You can find Zina and Netjuke at the following pages.
http://www.pancake.org/zina.html
http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/
-
ah ya, streaming audio.
I could also set that up on this box, since I have pretty decent hardware.
thanks for the idea.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just start GDM on my xbox and on my desktop 'X -query ip_address' of it to login to it and run whatever program there. audio is easy as it defaults to that machine(needs to install esound if I want it to go to my machine). For video, have to tell it to use the frame buffer console instead, so I watch DVD/VCD on TV through xbox, controlled from my PC.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I should have mentioned this before, but another option you will want to check out (especially if this is going to be a dedicated box) is Knoppmyth even though Knoppmyth is tv/video oriented it also can be used soley to play music. It has a great interface too. I'm planning on building one of these boxes as soon as I get enough money for the pvr-350 tv card.
-
Re: Knoppix as a multimedia server?

Originally Posted by
aay

Originally Posted by
JockVSJock
I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.
I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.
Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?
thanks
I used to have a setup like this. I would ssh into the media box and play tunes via mp3blaster (you can apt-get it). Mp3blaster is a very cool ncurses mp3/ogg player. Of course if you can ssh into it and it is a reasonably fast box, you could also run a gui app like rhythmbox (which is a great multimedia jukebox). Another option is running something like Zina or Netjuke. That way you could access the media box from any machine on your network with a browser. You can find Zina and Netjuke at the following pages.
http://www.pancake.org/zina.html
http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/
Thanks for the tip on mp3blater, I have been using that for the last few days to play audio. Just ssh into the box and running it and it works like a charm.
When I get more time, I do want to setup the other apps that you and others have mentioned in this thread.
thanks again
-

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
Try running a vncserver so you can work grapically from another computer with your knoppix desktop in a vnc client window.
I think the command to start a vncserver is something like
vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 hostname:1
Then you'd run a vnc client on another computer and connect to hostname:1
What about using KDE Desktop Manager, I was looking thru a few past threads on the forum and found that.
Is there like a step-by-step direction for using this from both Linux/Windows box using SSH?
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By tommydl in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:33 PM
-
By stefan741 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:10 PM
-
By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-02-2003, 12:37 PM
-
By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00