Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Howto start progams on boot?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22

    Howto start progams on boot?

    What is the best way to start programs when Knoppix boots?

    For example, I'd like to have a script that sets up my soft links which are not saved by Save KNOPPIX configuration.

    I'd also like to start my firewall script.

    Would it be appropriate to put a script in /etc/rcS.d?

    I usually use Slackware which has a user script
    in /etc/rc.d/rc.local where I do this kind of stuff.

    I'd like to know "the Knoppix" way.

    Pelican

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22
    After some fiddling and research I figured this out for myself.

    I've created a file /etc/rc5.d/S99start which does the following
    just before KDE loads:
    runs my firewall
    creates sub-directories in /mnt needed for nfs and smb mounts.
    These are not normally saved by saveconfig.
    creates some soft links I need including localzone and a link to
    S99start in /etc/bin which is where I keep my personal bin files.
    Soft links are also not saved by saveconfig.

    I called it S99 to make it load last like an rc.local in bsd style inits.
    Actually it's the only file in the /etc/rc5.d directory

    Pelican

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Saw yr post...thanks.

    But I'm wondering when I create the soft link for two processes, mysql and apache, under rc3.

    How do I know what number to assign them?

    thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22
    I don't know how to create a soft link for a _process_ or if it's possible.
    AFAIK, process numbers are assigned by the system when you
    start a program.

    The syntax to create a soft link is:
    ln -s /path/name_of_program_to_run /path/name_of_link

    So to create the link to my initialization file in rc5.d:
    ln -s /etc/rc5.d/S99start.lba /etc/bin/S99start.lba
    is written just like that in the file S99start.lba.

    This rather cumbersome procedure is caused by the fact that
    saveconfig will not save soft links.
    I DK about hard links, never use them.

    In your case it could be
    ln -s /path/apache /path/name_of_soft_link

    Pelican

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    I guess that really doesn't answer my question.

    I know how to start stuff up like mysql and apache.

    I understand creating soft links, but how do I link the services that I want to run to init.d to rc3.d?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    JockVSJock,

    I seem to use the SysV editor - its a GUI, and allows setting start/stops from specific levels.

    I'm sorry, I guess I am not so "Linux" savvy as others, and do everything from a shell, like, I guess, I'm supposed to do, but, I've come from a long standing years in the Windows World, and tend to use a GUI, whenever present.

    Not sure if SysV modifies what you are wanting to do, in my situations, it did, or by leaving something running when I logged out, it would come back when I restarted - like my Audio Mixer.

    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    JockVSJock,

    I seem to use the SysV editor - its a GUI, and allows setting start/stops from specific levels.

    I'm sorry, I guess I am not so "Linux" savvy as others, and do everything from a shell, like, I guess, I'm supposed to do, but, I've come from a long standing years in the Windows World, and tend to use a GUI, whenever present.

    Not sure if SysV modifies what you are wanting to do, in my situations, it did, or by leaving something running when I logged out, it would come back when I restarted - like my Audio Mixer.

    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles
    Cuddles, one thing I learned from Winjunk (Windows), if the GUI crashed, which has happened alot, and I got a command prompt, and I didn't know what the hell I was doing, then I WAS DEAD IN THE WATER.

    With Linux, it has forced me so many times to learn the command line, don't become a dummy with a GUI.

    So my question still goes unanswered.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    I dont know the official way BUT

    I just create the script in init.d then create a hardlink with Snn_____
    in the rc3.d

    So if its called
    /etc/init.d/apache
    then create a hardlink
    deciding where you want it to start (i,e after networking for instance)
    S80apache
    i.e. like pelican said:

    ln -s /path/name_of_program_to_run /path/name_of_link
    where /path/name_of_program_to_run would be /etc/init.d/apache
    and /path/name_of_link would be /etc/rc3.d/S80apache

    However its good practice to ad this to all run levels where it should be running like 4 and 5 as well.
    Also the knp start X in RL2 - (its faster) so check whats already running and make sure nothing depends on apache thats already running in rc2.d

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    This command does the trick


    update-rc.d apache defaults

    or

    update-rc.d mysql defaults


    Easy as that....

    Thanks to the folks in knoppix.net for the help as always....

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie - howto boot with out x11
    By astranberg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 04:15 AM
  2. Howto to Start Knoppix ISO with PXE from LAN?
    By tiny in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 12:20 AM
  3. Can anyone help out howto start login screen once system up?
    By jzhai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
  4. HOWTO? ssh start at boot-up
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 01:35 PM
  5. [HOWTO] How to boot a chroot directory ...
    By Fabianx in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G picture

Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G

$59.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz  (MIX BRAND) picture

Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz (MIX BRAND)

$900.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50