Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Boot keyboard

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    11

    Boot keyboard

    I have a permanent install of Knoppix 3.1 on an old Toshiba laptop (not mine, on loan). It's configured for US keyboard on boot. I have KDE changed to GB keyboard, can I patch LILO to give a boot with a GB keyboard layout? I have not found any suitable info in the man pages.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Boot keyboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadrach
    I have a permanent install of Knoppix 3.1 on an old Toshiba laptop (not mine, on loan). It's configured for US keyboard on boot. I have KDE changed to GB keyboard, can I patch LILO to give a boot with a GB keyboard layout? I have not found any suitable info in the man pages.
    dpkg-recongifure console-common should give you the opportunity to change the layout.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    11
    Ran that ... not quite the result I expected!

    Selected 'from arch list', 'qwerty' and 'British', command ran, small 'uk' appeared briefly after the keymap search - seemed alright, but in practice it had the exact opposite effect from intended.

    Instead of getting a GB keyboard layout in boot, console, command line in KDE, applications, etc., I had a US keyboard override everywhere, even to the extent of overriding the GB keyboard setting within the KDE desktop (and it still showed 'GB' in the icon on the footer bar) and any applications launched from it (including OpenOffice).

    For the moment I have cheated. In '/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty' I have saved the US keymap as an 'old' file and created a symbolic link to the UK keymap file. Works for me!

Similar Threads

  1. Keyboard won't work after boot...
    By rmcastil in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
  2. Keyboard problem on boot?
    By Zeus in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 12:10 AM
  3. USB Keyboard doesnt work at ONLY the boot screen
    By superlyduper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:52 AM
  4. Keyboard layout boot options
    By PsycoX in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
  5. Auto FSCK every 22 times & keyboard setting at boot
    By suoko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00