Quote Originally Posted by m_yates
I did not receive an error about update-rc except during installation of sysvinit, and I fixed it as described above.
This worked with CeBIT version:
dpkg -x sysvinit<version you downloaded>.deb /tmp
cp /tmp/usr/share/sysvinit/update-rc.d /usr/sbin

...but not with latest Knoppix 3.3 version. I couldn't even install sysvinit with apt-get. So I had to install it with 'dpkg -i sysvinit<version_nr>.deb'.

This didn't work:
Code:
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa# apt-get install sysvinit
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting sysvinit-knoppix instead of sysvinit
Package sysvinit-knoppix is a virtual package provided by:
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package sysvinit-knoppix has no installation candidate
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa#
This is what I first got with dpkg:
Code:
root@TeraeNet:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i sysvinit*
dpkg: regarding sysvinit_2.85-15_i386.deb containing sysvinit, pre-dependency 
problem: sysvinit pre-depends on sysv-rc (>= 2.85-2) | file-rc (>> 0.7.0)
dpkg: error processing sysvinit_2.85-15_i386.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing sysvinit
Errors were encountered while processing:
 sysvinit_2.85-15_i386.deb
...and I had to download and install sysv-rc manually with dpkg. That perhaps caused the problem. Now I could install sysvinit with dpkg:
Code:
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa# dpkg -i sysvinit*
dpkg-deb: `sysvinit_removing.txt' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing sysvinit_removing.txt (--install):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
dpkg-deb: `sysvinit.txt' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing sysvinit.txt (--install):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
(Reading database ... 112935 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace sysvinit 2.85-15 (using sysvinit_2.85-15_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement sysvinit ...
Setting up sysvinit (2.85-15) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:
 sysvinit_removing.txt
 sysvinit.txt
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa#
I had to re-install some extra packages that was removed with Knoppix's sysvinit.

This is what was removed:
Code:
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa# apt-get remove sysvinit
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa# apt-get remove sysvinit
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  atmelwlandriver-tools console-tools ftape-util kbd-compat
  knoppix-terminalserver linux-wlan-ng linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.4.24-xfs
  lvm-common lvm10 modconf modutils nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nis sysvinit
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  sysvinit
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 15,9MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?] Yes, do as I say!
(Reading database ... 113535 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing atmelwlandriver-tools ...
Removing kbd-compat ...
Removing console-tools ...
Removing ftape-util ...
Removing knoppix-terminalserver ...
Removing linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.4.24-xfs ...
Removing linux-wlan-ng ...
Removing lvm10 ...
vgcfgbackup -- no volume groups found
Removing lvm-common ...
Removing modconf ...
Removing modutils ...
Removing nfs-kernel-server ...
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
Removing nfs-common ...
Stopping NFS common utilities: statd.
Removing nis ...
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
Removing sysvinit ...
root@TeraeNet:/home/tapsa#
Notice that dpkg warning.


I don't remember but because of some reason I also had to install initscripts with dpkg:
Code:
root@TeraeNet:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i initscripts*
(Reading database ... 112897 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace initscripts 2.85-15 (using initscripts_2.85-15_i386.deb) 
...Unpacking replacement initscripts ...
Setting up initscripts (2.85-15) ...

Configuration file `/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** bootmisc.sh (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/halt ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/hostname.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/mountall.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/rmnologin ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/sendsigs ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/single ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/umountfs ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/urandom ...
.. and now I'm convinced that this was the problem. Now I should configure something afresh but what. I have tried every window manager as a normal user but nothing works (no authority to login?). No problem as a root. Kdm starts and I get graphical login window.

Thank you for your help and I'm going to do this process again with new Knoppix installation after I'm convinced what caused my problems with sysvinit. Hope this helps some other, too.