Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Bug in latest Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130

    Bug in latest Knoppix?

    I downloaded the 2-9-2004 version and installed to the hard drive. Upon booting, the KDM login screen came up, but when I tried to login to any window manager or KDE, the screen went blank for a second and then KDM appeared again. This happened if I tried to login as root or as a regular user. I had a version from 11-19-2003 and installed it to the hard drive and everything worked. Could this be a bug? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24
    I have the exact same problem. I haven't filed a bug report yet since I want to try troubleshooting it myself.

    If you try a console login, then startx, you will see the Xserver error messages, most of them having to do with /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a and fonts/libspeedo.a. Note that X was compiled from Linux 2.4.23-pre6 rather than 2.4.24.

    This is why I keep two 5Gb partitions for Knoppix. On one partition, I keep a "stable" install of Knoppix 3.2 (the 2003-07-26 one) which I've never had problems with. On the other partition, I install the latest Knoppix release (using the fromhd boot option so I don't waste CDs) and experiment with package installations, kernel recompiles etc.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    I noticed the same errors when trying to start X from the console. I think Xfree 86 in the 2-9-04 version is newer than in the 11-19-03 version. I tried editing XF86Config-4 to change video drivers from "ati" to "vesa" and tried removing the lines loading glx, dri, and other stuff. None of the changes I made enabled me to get X to start. I re-installed Knoppix using the 11-19-03 CD. Perhaps I will post this to the Debian-Knoppix list.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Update:

    I posted to the debian-knoppix list and Klaus Knopper replied that it was probably an error in Xsession scripts. Yesterday, he found the problem, fixed it and released a new version (2-16-2004) that should be on the mirrors soon. The new version also corrects some other bugs. I am very impressed that Klaus Knopper took the time to respond and fix things.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Is it possible to upgrade this somehow, or do I have to download the new release and install all over again?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    In his e-mail reply, Klaus Knopper suggested a work around for the problem:

    However, I seem to have found the problem with the non-working X-Login. It seems that the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d have changed somehow, so you get NO desktop manager if there is a "default" line in $HOME/.wmrc. I fixed this in the upcoming update, but an easy way for a workaround is just loggin in with the "failsafe" login (or text console),
    and doing an

    echo "kde3" > .wmrc

    Regards
    -Klaus Knopper
    [/quote]

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Ah ok, thanks for the info. I don't think I've had that problem- I installed gnome and use gdm as the default.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24
    m_yates:

    Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

Similar Threads

  1. Big Knoppix Article in Latest PC Mag
    By sakiZ in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.3 (latest build) doesn't detect my TV
    By AndrewMSConvert in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 09:22 AM
  3. Knoppix Latest build and USB storage ?
    By castlesoft in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 06:20 AM
  4. Does the latest Knoppix CD detect the nForce2 onboard LAN?
    By audioaficionado in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 01:26 AM
  5. Latest Knoppix Patch Installation! I NEED HELP!
    By digitaldeity in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99