Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't access floppy as regular user

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    Can't access floppy as regular user

    I've done a hard drive install of Knoppix 3.2 and created a regular user which seems to working fine except I can't access the floppy. I mount the floppy as root and I can read from and write to it. When I try to read it as regular user it says permission denied. My user is in the floppy group and I've compared my fstab file with others I've seen on here and else where and it seems to be correct
    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    DO

    man chmod

    For a simple fix (although I wouldn't recommend using this too randomly)

    chmod 777 /floppy (or wherever your floppy drive is mounted)

    will allow everyone to access the floppy drive.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I tried that but still no access as regular user.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    I reinstalled and changed a few things, and I'm getting access to the floppy. I went with the graphical login and I haven't done any updates yet. I have a couple of new questions now.

    1 I'm not sure if I ran the chmod 777 command. I've looked at the info chmod and man chmod and they don't say anything about numbers. Is there somewhere I can look to see if the mode is set to 777?

    2 I mounted the floppy and looked at it with Konquerer. One of the files on the floppy is a copy of a Kword document. I
    made some changes to the copy on my harddrive then I wanted to save a copy on my floppy. When I tried to save as from Kword it said the device a: was busy try again. I umounted the floppy and then Kword was able to save it. Does this sound right?

    This whole mount business is starting to drive me nuts!

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Access and User Accounts
    By zscola1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
  2. Can not login as a regular user....forced to use ROOT
    By Orion Pax in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
  3. Sound card works as root but not as regular user
    By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. can only access flashdrive as root user - help!
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM
  5. Cannot access FLOPPY
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details picture

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details

$95.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games picture

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games

$349.30