-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Apt-Get & Creative Audigy?

Originally Posted by
raid517
Hi, I am new to the world of Debian. I hail from a previously mixed world of Gentoo and Windows - but I found that sometimes Gentoo was just a tad too bleeding edge for my tastes - and as such it's package management system often broke more than it fixed.
Welcome to Debian.
The first thing I noticed is that on the HDD install the kernel sources aren't included. No big problem you might think, But then I have no idea how to obtain them through apt-get.
Usually apt-get install kernel-source-2.??.?? but with knoppix you need:
In your /etc/apt/sources.list to get the package you are probably better off getting the source from either the official Debian repositories or from the kernel.org if you plan on building your own kernel if you are just compiling a driver the kernel headers are included so you should have all you need to compile unless it needs the entire tree available so drivers are like that.
I read on the apt-get tutorial sticky at the head of this forum that if I want to install a package I just have to type apt-get install packagename (or if I want to avoid debians somewhat antiquated repository - apt-get install unstable packagename). However what if I don't know the specific package name of what I'm looking for? I mean how do I search apt to see what is available? In gentoo if I wanted to serach for something all I had to do was type 'emerge search package name'' and every available reference to that specific package in the various gentoo databases would be displayed. I could then select from the list the specific package name and version which was of most relevance to me. Is there a similar way to search the apt repositories?
apt-cache search package_name_or_term and apt-cache policy package_name will tell you which package version will be installed along with which branch of the archives it will be installed from. apt-cache show package_name will give a detailed description of the package and dependencies.
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
You need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and put a # character in front of the offending lines for the sources to comment them out they are no longer valid the packages have moved locations. The new line for the packages that were at people.debian.org/~braden for example.
Also what does the -t switch do? I ask as without it apt-get doesn't seem to want to do anything. Are there any other switches I should know of that would prove helpful?
The -s switch is invaluable it simulates the actions of apt and stops you from making stupid mistakes by not paying attention there are many, many more I would suggest man apt-get. The -t tells apt which branch you wish to install the packages from BTW.
Finally one thing I feared would happen and that has happend is that when I installed to my harddisk I lost quite a lot of the excellent hardware detection that the Knoppix CD appears to be able to do. At the moment the most frustrating of these is the lack of support for my Audigy 2.0 sound card (and specifically for SPDIF out) and the lack of any attempt to use the official ati XFree drivers for 3D acceleration. Does anyone have any advice on either how to get the drivers for these or how to get them working? If anyone has any experience of this, your advice would be deeply appreciated. When I was using the CD in order to enable digital out from my audigy 2 card, all I had to do was type alsa at the boot prompt.
Use in a console window after having used su to become root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig and edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the default volumes set on boot or you may want to use in a console window alsamixer to check other options for the card. Kano has a script to install the driver once you have installed to the HD never used the ATI but the Nvidia ones work well.
Similar Threads
-
By bsjawle in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-24-2004, 11:52 AM
-
By Stas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
-
By shadinio in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By legal in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
-
By SaS in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00