-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
raid517
However I was wondering if there was anything I needed to install or anything special I needed to do to get the 2.6.2 kernel to run sucessfully? I know a few things are different about 2.6x, so I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?
Sorry lost the post in a bunch of spam with the email notification gotta love ISP's who install filters without telling you. You need the module-init-tools package installed and you need to make an addition to the /etc/fstab like this.
Code:
## Needed for kernel 2.6
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
Then you have to as root in a console window or at the console itself mkdir /sys to make the directory for the mount point. You can look at my config for 2.6.2 here it should give you a working base to start with.
Also I have never used lilo before and am not cetain how useful it would be to change my boot manager, so how would I edit lilo to ensure both my old and new kernel were avaialable in case of problems?
If you install the kernel after using the kernel package program to make a kernel_image- 2.?.??.deb then dpkg will take care of that automatically and create a LinuxOLD entry in the /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo write the changes to the disk to be used on the next boot. A guide to compiling a kernel the Debian way.
Additionally I installed - or I thought I installed KDE 3.3 via apt-get. But when I start Knoppix it still says I only have 3.1.5. KDE 3.3 isn't listed on the login screen in the list of avaiable Windows managers either.
How do I start KDE 3.3 and make sure it replaces my existing version of KDE 3.1.5 (since there is no point in having two versions of KDE installed)?
Kind regards,
GJ
You installed Knoppix version 3.3 not KDE 3.2 which is the latest if you wish to update to the latest version of KDE I have made a couple of post here in the last few days on how to do it they should be easy enough to find.
Similar Threads
-
By bsjawle in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-24-2004, 11:52 AM
-
By Stas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
-
By shadinio in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By legal in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
-
By SaS in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99