-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
raid517
Ok thanks guys. I wondered why it was so quiet.
Well I installed the 2.6 kernel and it boots - but I only get about 10 seconds in and then I get a kernel panic.
The error message I get is:
Code:
/etc/rcS.d/S20module-init-tools:
line 33: 93 Segmentation fault modprobe $args <6>
Warning: process 'update' used the obsolete bdflush sysyem call.
Fix your initscripts?
That looks like the package is installed incorrectly you need to apt-get --reinstall install module-init-tools. Although I have never had problems with it where are you getting the package from, what is the output of apt-cache policy module-init-tools if the reinstall does not work.
Now I suspect that this is because there are a bunch of scripts that need updating too - but again as this is debian and not Gentoo I haven't got a clue where to start.
In Gentoo it is simply /etc/init.d/kernel-version and in this directory there is a simple text file that tells the kernel what modules to use at boot time.
Debian uses /etc/modules to load the modules at boot and options and any aliases for the modules or devices are kept in the files in /etc/modutils/ directory any changes you make to these files you have to run update-modules to update the /etc/modules.conf so the changes will be used.
I noticed that debian also has this directory - although in this instance it is filled with what seem to be a rather more complete set of scripts. For eample one file I found in there was a script to automatically configure my Audigy 2 sound card. It actually works very well - and I guess the question is how to get it to run at boot time so that my card is always correctly configured.
Do you mean the /etc/modutils/alsa-??? file that is created when you run the auto configuration that I mentioned in my first post the only thing that should go wrong is the default volumes not being set properly have you tried the alsamixer in a console window to check the settings.
Similar Threads
-
By bsjawle in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-24-2004, 11:52 AM
-
By Stas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
-
By shadinio in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By legal in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
-
By SaS in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (HMA84GR7MFR4N-TF) - Preowned
$149.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y
$270.00

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module
$150.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98