Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Persistent sound problem, esp. with integrated mobos. Ideas?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    Persistent sound problem, esp. with integrated mobos. Ideas?

    Knoppix: unbelievably good, esp. as a debian installer :)

    My problem (and it's occurred on several varieties of Knoppix on a few different machines) is with sound. What happens is that the pleasant voice at bootup that says "beginning startup sequence" gets stuck; it starts skipping on the word "sequence," and until the sound server is killed, the system just keeps saying the 2nd syllable over and over, so it sounds like "wence-wence-wence-wence ..." etc.

    Data points: Here are three machines on which I've enountered this problem:

    - Shuttle SS40 system (Duron 1700) with built in just-about-everything (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,485198,00.asp) using a FS40 FlexATX DDR motherboard.

    - Compaq iPaq (500MHz Intel PIII), another fully-integrated beast with an Intel 810e chipset.

    [Note, for these two, and using the Knoppix CD I burned in September or October, I can overcome this by specifying "pci=bios" as a boot-time option, something I learned from a random someone's web page about Linux on the shuttle system. Without that option, little things like the integrated network card are ignored.]

    - a generic 1GHz PIII laptop I encountered visiting my dad's house (his laptop); I did not know about and so did not try the pci=bios option on that.

    And contrariwise, Knoppix sound works fine on another system of mine (including the Athlon system I'm tapping this one, using the integrated Apollo sound). That's the system I'm typing this from, in fact :)

    *However* with the newer Knoppix I burned last month, I get the sound stuttering on the Shuttle system even if I specify pci=bios. Again, everything else seems to work great ..

    So what is it about me, knoppix and sound? I've seen this happen on a few other systems as well. So, while Knoppix does a great job otherwise of hardware detection etc, on a majority of the systems I've so far tried I get this stuttering. I can see this being a big turn-off to someone who expected working sound on their system. Maybe I'm just a statistical anomoly, and it works better for everyone else -- I hope so.

    I inquired about this a little while ago on the knoppix IRC channel and hit some helpful people but no one who knew what the secret was, if there is one. Any ideas? I'd rather have no sound than "wence-wence-wence ..."

    Thanks,

    Tim

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    I've got precisely the same problem with v3.3.......although i believe the polite voice for me is speaking german. I'm using a Biostar M7VIF MoBo which has Avance AC97 onboard sound. At least I am not the only one suffering this problem.......although I realise this is a very old thread. Has this issue been successfully resolved?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    3
    the same it's happening to me with my laptop (an airis).

    i downloaded knoppix 3.3 and i only could listen the voice repeating the same sentence...

    so, i tried with knoppix 3.2 and the same again!!

    have you solutioned it??

    i'll try today with 3.1 version....

    un hola hola from spain

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    You might try this cheat code at boot: knoppix alsa

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by L2Cache
    You might try this cheat code at boot: knoppix alsa
    sorry it didn't work. no error or anything. what now?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    3
    thanx, but i tried and... nah!!

    with 3.1 version the same... and with another distributions based on knoppix is happening the same...

    any more ideas?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Looping intro sound!

    Hi, I have the same problem, and I am so new to Knoppix and Linux that I don't know how to stop it, other than turning off my speakers.

    Is there a way to kill the log-in sound and have the sound card function afterwards anyway? Something like the task manager in windows?

    Something odd: The very first time I booted from the CD, I did NOT have this problem! But I've had it every single time afterwards.

    I have version 3.3 on a SOYO P4X400 Dragon Lite mother-board, with 256 megs of memory, a 2.2 GHz Celeron, and an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 64 meg video card. I *LOVE* what I see of Knoppix so far, but I need to resolve this sound issue. Thanks for any help!

    Gigi 188

Similar Threads

  1. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  2. Integrated Sound On Solec Mobo doesn't work
    By Phishman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 04:31 AM
  3. Persistent Home with PMI problem
    By Serow225 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
  4. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM
  5. nForce Integrated Audio and 6 channel sound
    By blubu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99