-
Home Network with a Knoppix Tower and MS Windows Laptops
OK, I'm lost! I currently have a few little issues that I need help with. (Please bear in mind that I'm a newbie, so Techies..please dull is down for me!)
I currently have a dual-boot system (MS XP/Knoppix3.3), and have a home network set up on the MS XP side. It's been nice to a point, but I want to be able set up the same home netowork on the Linux side.
Problem1: As of right now, I can't share my hda1 with hda5 (only in root, is hda1 even accessable).
Problem2: My MS XP Home laptops can not access the shared folders on the windows partion, when I'm on the Linux OS. (
The
) The laptops can hop on and off line but can't access anything on the windows partition, or even the Linux partition with the files marked as shared out. This is forcing me to run the windows partition 90% of my time, to allow home networking. (PS, it's a D-Link WLAN, plugged directly to my DSL Modem) .
My wife and I really prefer the Linux OS, but need to have our MS XP laptops be able to have access to the home network, regardless.
Is it possible for MS OS systems to access a home network, when the server (i.e my hard lined system plugged directly into the router and modem) is running Linux OS? I know, I know...just convert everything to Linux and the world is happy, but I have to have dual boot systems to run some company and web based applications in MS XP. I have found there are some web sites, mostly secure sites that I have to be using MS Internet Explorer in order to display or even access them. And that kinda sucks too!
So what do I do? How can I run my server on Linux, and allow my Laptops to continue to run MS XP and still have access to all my shared data, and hardware? And how can I administer my network in Linux, accessing and sharing both partitions, and devices?
Any help woule be great. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 92
Last Post: 08-10-2005, 03:35 AM
-
By YannLeMerle in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By ssnow in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 10:26 PM
-
By fermier in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2003, 01:23 PM
-
By guigui in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99