nvm, problem solved!![]()
I am trying to get AirSnort working on Linux *Knoppix STD*. I am using a Prism2 based card *Netgear MA401*. The card is found by linux in the bootup section. It loads up some stuff and says Orinico and Prism 2, etc. In Linux it self, If I put "iwpriv eth0*, it shows my Wireless Card and the drop down list includes the word "monitor" listed. When I run the Wireless Config. it finds my Card and asks for some config details etc. I try to run Airsnort, it wont show eth0 in the device, I sleect Prism2 and hit scan, it says cannot put in Monitor Mode. But, when I run "Wellenreiter Wireless Scanner" and leave it on for a bit it finds many BssID's and also sniffs packets. So what do I have to do to get Airsnort to work!? It says needs to be put in Monitor mode... I tried "iwpriv eth0 monitor 1 7" in the Shell Root as well. When I hit return it just starts a new line, so I guess that is ok? What do I have to do to get AirSnort to work?![]()
nvm, problem solved!![]()
I'm exact at the same point. MA401 is recognized, started and fails.
What have you done?![]()
I am a beginner with Linux I am trying to get Airsnort working and I am getting the message that " Could not set to monitor mode". My laptop has an inbuilt Prism card. I also inserted a WaveLan silver PCMCIA card and I got the same message.
Can you tell me what I could try out to fix this issue?
Thanks
I sometimes encounter kinda the same problem, usually its enough for me to fill in eth0 (or your equavilent). Otherwise it replies "can not set monitor mode"
That's how I made it work (using Knoppix-STD):
1. Boot Knoppix
2. Remove 802.11 card
3. Go to Menu/Wireless and click on "orinoco patch"
4. Wait until it's done
5. Insert card back
6. Open terminal window and type:
sudo airsnort &
7. In Airsnort select:
device: eth0
card type: orinoco-cs
8. Click start, you should see list of APs and packets coming
As a sanity check after #5 you can type "iwpriv" in the terminal window and see if "eth0" is listed and has "monitor" item.
You can also mount your hard drive to save/restore airsnort's capture between sessions. Just do "mount /mnt/hda1" in the treminal window. Clicking on HDA1 on the desktop mounts hard drive in Read-Only mode
Good luck!

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99
NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40
Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99
Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i
$699.99
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08