Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Which ISO file do I burn?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Which ISO file do I burn?

    Guys and gals (if any), I know nothing about LINUX.
    All my Genetics softwares run on LINUX, so here I am desperately trying to learn it.

    I have got a question concerning knoppix. I recently downloaded it from a
    German site to my hard-drive.

    Now I want to burn it on a cd. The total file size that I got is 2.6 GB! Now
    that will surely not fit on any CD that I know of..

    BUT, I have 2 ISO files.

    KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

    and

    KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-DE.iso

    Which one do I actually burn?

    What about the other folders that come with the download, for instance the contrib and docs folders? Do i need to burn these too?

    Any help will be appreciated....

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    I think that the only difference with those two isos are that one of them is in english and the other in german.
    So it all depends on wich language you want.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    WAO!!
    You guys are pretty fast. I also received this reply basically in seconds after I sent the mail....thought I would share it with others.

    > > BUT, I have 2 ISO files.
    > >
    > > KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-DE.iso
    > >
    > > Which one do I actually burn?
    >
    > The *-EN.iso file if you want to boot into ENglish by default,
    > the *-DE.iso file if you want to boot into DEutsch by default.
    >
    > > What about the other folders that come with for instance the contrib and
    > docs
    > > folder? Do i need to burn these too?
    >
    > No, you just need to burn ONE of the bootable .iso images to get a
    > bootable CD. Please make sure your burning program understands how to
    > burn .iso files, otherwise you end up with an unusable CD that just
    > contains the FILE, and not the CONTENT of the file.
    >
    > With kind regards
    > -Klaus Knopper
    > --
    > Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Knopper Dansenberger Straße 44
    > Phone+Fax: +49 631 51504 67661 Kaiserslautern
    > http://www.knopper.net/ GERMANY
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    > LinuxTag 2004 - Europes largest Linux Expo Where .com meets .org
    > Phone +49 180 5 LINUXTAG Fax +49 180 5 LINUXFAX
    > http://www.linuxtag.org/ Technical Solutions

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    I just burnt the ISO files on a CD. I used Nero and burnt it as
    a DATA disc. Does this make it bootable?

    When I try to boot from CD, my laptop just ignores it and goes
    on to load the OS from my HDD... Help!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Kumar
    I just burnt the ISO files on a CD. I used Nero and burnt it as
    a DATA disc. Does this make it bootable?

    When I try to boot from CD, my laptop just ignores it and goes
    on to load the OS from my HDD... Help!
    The image is already bootable. Read our fine documentation on how to burn an .iso using Nero.

Similar Threads

  1. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  2. [n] How do I burn Knoppix .iso file (it's 715 MB?)
    By nirav in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
  4. burn baby burn!
    By tup34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
  5. Can't burn with K3B...please Help!
    By Wishmaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.60



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Gigabyte 1TB 2280 SSD Solid State Drive AG450E1024-Sl, 27107-1TB15-P70S picture

Gigabyte 1TB 2280 SSD Solid State Drive AG450E1024-Sl, 27107-1TB15-P70S

$99.99



Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Black MZ-V9P1T0 picture

Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Black MZ-V9P1T0

$170.00