Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Linux and Windows

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13

    Linux and Windows

    Is there any advantage to having both linux and windows on one computer with a dual boot system? I have two compuers side by side - one runs winxp and the other I plan to run linux. That computer already has win98 installed. Are there linux programs that look for windows present to run? Other than that I do not need win98 to run. Should I wipe out that computer and start with a linux only install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Linux and Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by manatarms1775
    Is there any advantage to having both linux and windows on one computer with a dual boot system? I have two compuers side by side - one runs winxp and the other I plan to run linux. That computer already has win98 installed. Are there linux programs that look for windows present to run? Other than that I do not need win98 to run. Should I wipe out that computer and start with a linux only install?
    Well there is WINE that can run some windows executables under Linux. Maybe you'd want to keep some of those around- I don't know. They could just be saved on a spare partition. There is no tool that I am aware of for 'scanning for winapps' The purpose of a dual-boot system is usually to provide something that the other OS does not. Personally I would save anything from win98 that I wanted/needed and then zero the entire drive and install Linux.

    Oh and BTW. I have 2 boxes at work- 1 win and 1 Linux. I run a vnc server on the win box and x2vnc on the Linux box and I use only 1 keyboard and mouse for both machines. No KVM switch required. The cursor just jumps from one monitor to the next and the keyboard input folows.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re- Windows and Linux

    I have both computers connected via a KVM switch and use one monitor, keyboard, and mouse - all of this installed and the second "old" computer running with the idea of experimenting with Linux on a hdd install.
    So, from your post I gather that all that is really necessary is a Fat 32 partition on one of the drives to put win programs if I want to try to run them. WINE, etc, doed not rely upon finding the win kernal or whatever somewhere on the computer?

Similar Threads

  1. Linux on windows
    By adamherb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 09:56 PM
  2. Why can't I see Linux partition from Windows?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM
  3. Windows GUI on Linux is possible!
    By Hunkah in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. windows and linux
    By javiergarza4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$154.76



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08