Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install

    Hi folks,

    I've been having an issue with starting Knoppix 3.3 after I do a HD install.

    Apparently I'm getting the following errors upon startup.

    Configuring network interfaces ... usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout
    input: USB HID V1.10 Keyboard [BTC Multimedia USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.0
    Operation Failed.
    Done.

    <snip>

    Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run
    blk: queue c0334b60, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
    blk: queue c0334ca8, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    ... and it hangs.

    Any ideas? I've been working on this all day. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    3
    I'm having the same problem. I did a low-level format of the drive, and re-cfdisked (it's a clean HDD), and am stll encountering this error. I'm wondering if it is a bad CD burn?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I think it's more likely to be a cableing or jumpering error (though some here have suggested different remedies).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    I've used this drive for years as a Windows drive, so I know it's not jumpering or cables. I'm wondering if I'm hitting a 4GB limitation somewhere since all the bitmasks are set to 1.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install

    Quote Originally Posted by allanorn
    Hi folks,

    I've been having an issue with starting Knoppix 3.3 after I do a HD install.

    Apparently I'm getting the following errors upon startup.

    Configuring network interfaces ... usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout
    input: USB HID V1.10 Keyboard [BTC Multimedia USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.0
    Operation Failed.
    Done.

    <snip>

    Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run
    blk: queue c0334b60, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
    blk: queue c0334ca8, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    ... and it hangs.

    Any ideas? I've been working on this all day. Thanks in advance.
    Edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and near the bottom you should see a line with hdparm -d1 /dev/hda put a # character at the start of the line to comment it out. If this does not take care of the problem then your drive may be going bad you should get a testing program and find out. BTW in regards to your last post windows will happily accept a cable select for the jumpers, sometimes Linux will not they need to be set master or slave.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    I am getting similar error and would want to try out the suggestion. May be being a newbie I am missing something. After failing to boot due to above mentioned problem after HD install, I booted from LiveCD and tried to find hdparm line in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh but couldn't find any. I could find in knoppix-autoconfig though. I don't know whether I should be modifying it or whether I am looking into right place (as I am booting from CD)
    Pls. advise.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    Might have solved it

    Hi,

    I might have solved the problem. I was setting up a used machine (formerly had Win9. I first went with SuSe but my install disks wouldn't read. Got sort of a working system but nothing to impress. Had a knoppix CD handy, so shoved it in and got it installed. Only problem was I was getting these errors regularly. I hadn't seen anything with Win98/SuSe but hadn't used either extensively, so I assumed it must be a hardware fault. Tried a new hard drive. Tried moving the hard drive from IDE0 to IDE1. To no avail.

    I messed around with various other settings. Then looked at the kernel startup (in /etc/lilo.conf) - the command line contains hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi.... Which was a new one to me. The kernel documentation didn't explain it, so I changed each entry to hdX=none except for the one disk which was installed which I changed to hdc=autotune. It's been running and in use for about 3 hours now without a single occurrence - but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed

    HTH

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14

    just met the same problem

    Thanks for this message, I fixed it by changing the hd jumper from cable select to master. Also I still don't know why. The orignal redhad 6.2 works fine under calbe select. The Knoppix 3.4 pop up the CRC error, but it's still working without any other problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Errors accessing a flash module (emulates an IDE hard drive)
    By nico.g in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM
  2. cloop and cp errors on hard drive install
    By daryl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 08:33 AM
  3. errors while mounting slave drive
    By ogami1972 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 10:40 AM
  4. USB drive errors
    By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 06:52 PM
  5. Samba problem, errors on startup.
    By rrijkse in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD picture

Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

$204.99